Is this a Seasonic Tornado OEM?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Highview

Is this a Seasonic Tornado OEM?

Post by Highview » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:18 am

Received my brown boxed "Seasonic Tornado" today from Kool 'n Quiet - the model number is SS-300FT although the invoice states SS-300FB - now is this the OEM version of the Tornado? - they appear to be different PSUs on the Seasonic website - one obvious difference at first glance is that there is no cable to monitor the fan speed. Anyone know if this unit is going to be as quiet, I'd rather not install if I have to return. I'm happy with the OEM format otherwise (no fancy packaging, Dr Cable, instructions).

puff

Post by puff » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:03 am

The SS-300FT uses a single 80mm fan for cooling afaik.

I assume your sample uses a 120mm fan for cooling or you'd have mentionned it?

Edit: never mind that, got confused with model numbers. Seems like the same as the Tornado minus the extras.

WarpedPlatter
Friend of SPCR

Post by WarpedPlatter » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:50 am

One possibly important thing missing is the "Soft-Mounting Rubber Cushion Fan", so it might produce more vibration noise. If you paid for the FB as the invoice states, I'd ask to get it exchanged or for a partial refund.

Smokeey

Post by Smokeey » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:50 am

Yep I would definitely verify with Kool n' Quiet that they have sent you the right PSU as the FT model looks like a different unit according to their website (although the physical specs are identical to the FB on the surface).

Let us know what they say as I am hoping to order one of these puppies soon from KnQ too!

Inexplicable

Post by Inexplicable » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:51 am

Well, these guys don't waste time. The shipping is expensive but my unit got here in three days. The guys at the local computer store down the street need that long just to figure out they have new mail. 8)

Yeah, mine is also a SS-300FT and the invoice says SS-300FB. The kool'n'quiet webshop says SS-300FT so it looks like I got what I ordered (of course, I can't remember if the site said the same thing three days ago). The PSU looks like the tornado in the pictures and the specs seem to match. Seasonic website says SS-300FT is a v1.3 PSU with super quiet fan control and high efficiency, blah blah...

So, for now I'm going with the assumption that this is indeed the real thing.

Kalpazan

Post by Kalpazan » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:21 am

Same here...

Ordered - SS-300FB, invoice - SS-300FB, the thingy - SS-300FT.

If it works ok, I will keep it. I wonder why it was announced on the web as SS-300FB ? Perhaps typo...

Kalpazan.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:44 am

It's curious that FT has cropped up as a model: if you check this thread I double checked the 'OEM' tag at the KoolnQuiet shop and so realised these were 'different'.

As per WarpedPlatter the 1 thing missing on the SeaSonic site marketting is the "Soft-Mounting Rubber Cushion Fan" - hopefully these FT really are just OEM FB and have it?? Can anyone with a boxed FB say what this is - perhaps the fan construction itself? I couldn't see anything in a quick re-scan of Mike's review.

Smokeey

Post by Smokeey » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:56 am

Perhaps Supastar himself from Kn'Q can confirm this discrepancy as he is a member of the SPCR forums here.

Supastar - pls confirm if you are around...

Inexplicable

Post by Inexplicable » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:40 pm

Well, initial feelings are a bit ambivalent.

After (having a bitch of a time) removing the stock Antec 380sp from my Antec Sonata case and forcing the Seasonic in there at the expense of a couple of twisted fins on my Zalman cnps7000cu, I slapped everything back together and got ready to try it out. I left the extra exhaust fan in the back unconnected as the Seasonic does not have the fan only connector feature of the Antec and 12V sends the dust bunnies running for cover. Might as well find out whether the tornado can keep the case cool all by itself.

I push the power button, case open. Very quiet indeed. :D Well, not quite. I hadn't realized my hard drives were howling like that. Have to do something about that eventually... :( For now I just close the case. What the hey, nice and quiet at idle. What about full load? Let's see how it handles a P4 2.4c burning rubber at 3.3 GHz. I fire up burnP6 on both virtual CPUs. About 5 seconds into the experiment someone starts up a vacuum cleaner. :shock: Sounds like a tornado, all right. Much louder than the Antec at full load. 30 seconds later the CPU thermal diode is reporting 70 C and my Zalman is also howling at full speed. :x Have to make a 5V adapter and plug in the exhaust fan I guess. :roll:

Ok, not so good. I kill the load and wait for the racket to die down. Only it doesn't seem to want to. The Zalman rapidly fades out but it takes a couple of minutes before the Seasonic starts to rein in. Another minute or two before the dust bunnies finally stop quivering. Even so, it's not very quiet. The Seasonic is now making as much noise as the Antec was in normal use. Sounds like a model aeroplane with a combustion engine buzzing around somewhere out of sight. Not very loud but very distinctive. After half an our, the case internal temp is 46 C and CPU diode is reporting 55 C. Not cooling down. I really have to hook up that case fan.

Smokeey

Post by Smokeey » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:58 pm

hmmm...doesn't sound like it is the same unit reviewed here at SPCR but of course I could be wrong. I guess with the additional cooling from the case fan the PSU fan would run a fair amount slower, hence reducing the noise emanating from it.

Does the sticker on the PSU actually say that its a Tornado?

fetaost

Post by fetaost » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:31 am

Any news on the SS-300FB vs SS-300FT issue?

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:53 am

fetaost wrote:Any news on the SS-300FB vs SS-300FT issue?
Search for another thread here where there is more about FB/FT. I have an FT now and am happy with it. AFAIK it is an OEM FB with a couple of differences apart from no box & Dr Cable. Most notably the KoolnQuiet FTs are 200-240VAC, the DC cables are shorter than an FB, and the fan has no rpm sense wire. And as per FB, some folks seem stricken by a noisy fan and if you rely on the psu fan as your only case ventilation in a system that runs 'high wattage' (significantly over the 90W 'norm' for a simple 2.4GHz system) then the psu fan ramps up and is no longer 'silent'.

silenceseeker

Post by silenceseeker » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:32 pm

Could some please explain once and for all what is the difference between Seasonic Super Tornado 300, Seasonic SS-300FB and Seasonic SS-300FT? Are these the same thing or difference creatures alltogether?

Initially, I intended to buy the Seasonic Super Tornado 300 from Silicon Acoustics, but then I someone turned my attention to the mystery whine thread. I decided to wait and started to follow any news on the subject - but then got confused by all those number SS-300, FB, FT...

I tried to consult Seasonic's web site, but this got me even more confused (no mention of FB and the FT seems to be a completly different thing from the Super Tornado).

Can someone please help me resolve the confusion?

Thanks,
Sam

MechanicalMan

Post by MechanicalMan » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:27 pm

silenceseeker wrote:I tried to consult Seasonic's web site, but this got me even more confused (no mention of FB and the FT seems to be a completly different thing from the Super Tornado).
Look closer. FB is the model number for the (retail) Tornados. I think the FT's are just some kind of OEM version of the Tornado. I don't know exactly how the FT's are different, but they probably just don't include the cable kit and junk like that...someone else can probably answer that for you.

klingon

Post by klingon » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:52 pm

FB is retail version with fancy box (and other gadgets like Dr. Cable). And it has Fan speed monitoring connector. All FB models are fee-volt, too.

FT is OEM version without gadgets and it lacks fan speed monitoring connector. FT has both Free-volt and Fixed 220-240v models.

Other than the above minor (at least to me) differences, I believe FB and FT are identical.

I have FB model which I picked up at a retail store and I have non of the problems (no start fan, whining noise, roller coaster ride of fan speed, very loud at full load and so on) mentioned in so many discussion threads.

I'm happy as a clam with my SS300FB.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:11 pm

silenceseeker wrote:Could some please explain once and for all what is the difference between Seasonic Super Tornado 300, Seasonic SS-300FB and Seasonic SS-300FT?
Try the home of SeaSonic in Taiwan - all the model numbers and data sheets are there.

silenceseeker

Post by silenceseeker » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:56 pm

OK. Thank you all for clarifying the issue of Super Tornado 300 vs. SS-300FB and vs. SS-300FT.

My understanding is that the Super Tornado 300 and SS-300FB are exactly the same thing.

The SS-300FT is the same as SS-300FB, except that the SS-300FT doesn't have:
  1. Soft-Mounting Rubber Cushion Fan
  2. Universal Free Input [100-240V full range]
  3. Cable Management Kit [Dr. Cable]
  4. Additional connectors: +12V for P4, auxiliary power & fan monitor
(please correct me if I am wrong).

Now... the BIG question: So many threads about the noise problems of the Super Tornado 300 have scared me... Is it really a good idea to buy it from Silicon Acoustics? If not, what alternatives would you propose (for the most silente system, single HDD only)?

Thanks,
Sam

jaimemitche

Post by jaimemitche » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:12 pm

silenceseeker wrote: [*] Additional connectors: +12V for P4, auxiliary power & fan monitor
The FT I have here does have a 12v p4 connector and another connector. Although the leeds are very short.

Jaime

Xstatic

Post by Xstatic » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:40 pm

Now... the BIG question: So many threads about the noise problems of the Super Tornado 300 have scared me... Is it really a good idea to buy it from Silicon Acoustics?
I bot the retail version from Silicon Acoustics 6-7 weeks back. Had the famous fan problem. Called SA, and I had a replacement fan FedEx *next morning*. Other posts in this thread have indicated that the fan problem is now solved and that no other bad fans are in the retail stream. It is safe to buy the Tornado 300.

I was *very* happy with the purchase experience with SA, and the 300 is far quieter than any of the 5V panaflos i have running. The unit is solid and SILENT. Go buy it. U'll like it!

silenceseeker

Post by silenceseeker » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:21 am

Xstatic wrote:I was *very* happy with the purchase experience with SA, and the 300 is far quieter than any of the 5V panaflos i have running. The unit is solid and SILENT. Go buy it. U'll like it!
This is music to my ears... (no pun intended :wink: )

How did you know that this is exactly what I wanted to hear? :D

egalitarian

Post by egalitarian » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:37 am

silenceseeker wrote: My understanding is that the Super Tornado 300 and SS-300FB are exactly the same thing.

The SS-300FT is the same as SS-300FB, except that the SS-300FT doesn't have:
  3. Cable Management Kit [Dr. Cable]
  4. Additional connectors: +12V for P4, auxiliary power & fan monitor
(please correct me if I am wrong).
I just bought a SS-400FT and it has:
  3. Additional connectors: +12V for P4, auxiliary power
  4. The additional fan control circuit.
It doesn't have:
  1. Fan monitor
  2. Cable Management Kit [Dr. Cable]
Sorry if I'm digging an older thread but I hope I can help someone.