RIP my 5yr old Fujitsu

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CoolGav

RIP my 5yr old Fujitsu

Post by CoolGav » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:44 am

It looks to have died last night. Well, a reboot this morning would recognise it in the BIOS, but it couldn't load windows within 3 attempts. I have an older (smaller) Fujitsu that didn't die, but was retired, and a few newer ones have bitten the dust or seem to be hanging on. So I'm preparing to say goodbye to my old friend. 5 years is quite some life for a drive, outlived in service only by my 6BXS motherboard, some 64MB sticks of PC100, my original ATX case and Philips 107S 17" CRT. I heard the last croak and wondered if he was a gonner.

Data is all on a newish SP1614N, so I've only lost a small win2k install if I can't get the drive to work even to grab an image or data... Ordered another SP1614N as a replacement, my 4th, so that when I get around to needing more server space I'll have plently of drives the same. (Not that it will be easy moving 300GB of RAIDed storage - and I only sorted it 9 months ago, so should last a few more years).

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:09 am

Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope everthing works out well for you.

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:44 am

Yes sorry for your loss. :(

But 5 yrs is a long life? I thouhgt hard drive studies showed they could go 10 15 yrs like a dog or a horse with nor probs. Makes one wonder about those "studies".

trodas

Post by trodas » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:14 am

The drive lifetime might depend heavily on conditions and usage :wink:

I mean - I still have my first working HDD, a 85MB Maxtor 2.5" drive back from spring 1993 :lol:
But from his stay on my friend it get a bad block area on the drive - nothing spreading, just this...
...makes one wonder, what the hell he did it to the poor drive :? :cry:

Anyway, the rest is still kicking, but not used now for 4 or so years... :?
No other drive gived up on me yet. And I driving them hard with very high temps (over 50 degrees all the time) :twisted: