CD-ROM / DVD cooling?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

qviri

CD-ROM / DVD cooling?

Post by qviri » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:01 pm

Hey,

in my new setup there will be just about no airflow whatsoever next to the 5.25" drive, and the air area around the drive itself will be pretty limited. (ie, cramped and not breezy.)

Currently I'm putting an old CD drive in there, but I might upgrade to something better in the future.

I'm fairly sure that the standard position of 5.25" drives in top front of a normal case doesn't give it much in terms of airflow either, but just to stay on the safe side -- do optical drives generate any considerable amounts of heat?

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:14 pm

They generally don't generate a whole lot of heat while reading. I don't know about when they are burning - I wouldn't expect it to be too much more than when reading.

They tend to be used intermittently, anyway, so I don't think it's a huge concern unless you will be spending your entire life ripping discs and burning lots of copies (which you wouldn't, I'm sure, due to it being illegal...)

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:39 pm

Don't bother. The odds are really slim that you could cause any damage to the drive with the kind of heat inside a computer case.... and even if you do happen to destroy it, you can RMA it, or just buy a new one. It's not like they cost a lot of money...

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:34 pm

If it helps, I asked a very similar question a couple months ago.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ve+cooling

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:29 pm

Damn, I feel stupid again.

Thanks, that was helpful.