Very Unhappy with PATA T7K250 250GB

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mrk22

Very Unhappy with PATA T7K250 250GB

Post by mrk22 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:13 am

For reference, my case is an SLK3700AMB and my current drive is an 80GB Seagate Cuda IV. I'm not 'hardcore' as I actually have the AAM on this drive set for maximum performance.

Based on favorable feedback within these forums and the review of the 7K250 model, I picked up a PATA 250GB T7K250 drive. As soon as I hooked it up and powered on the PC, my face must have had an absolute look of horror on it! The drive generates a considerable amount of high-pitch whine. The sound took me back to the ugly days of ball bearing drives. This drive's whine is nowhere near as loud as my old 40GB Maxtor (which has ball bearings), but it's very similar sounding to me.

Now, it's quite possible I just received a defective drive, but the time and cost associated with multiple RMAs is not something I wanted to go through. So the drive is now on its way back for good.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:27 am

That's a Hitachi/IBM right?

I have a Hitachi 40GB drive that does this annoying sound every once in a while. Was it the Hitachi that did the load and unloading heads thing? The sound is really annoying and sounded like scraping on the blackboard.

sgrossklass

Post by sgrossklass » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:26 am

High-pitched whine? Can't confirm that on my T7K250, bought May, made April 05. The only thing whining is the ethernet switch on top of the comp (a towel around that catches most of the whine, it doesn't run warm anyway). Either the whiny one is a lemon or they're using the same motors as WD.

mrk22

Post by mrk22 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:51 pm

For anyone who might be interested, I replaced the drive with a 250GB Spinpoint the same day I made the first post and was greatly relieved at the absence of whine. The drive has been running well since.