Quietest notebook hard drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cipher7

Quietest notebook hard drive

Post by cipher7 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:32 pm

One of the drives recommended by SPCR is the Samsung M40 MP0402H. This drive is a bit older and I'm wondering if there any newer 40-80GB notebook drives that are as quiet this drive and also better performing.

Thanks in advance

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:22 am

WD Scorpio is probably quieter (as long as you don't get one that clicks). Performance difference is negligible. There are some 7200rpm notebook drives, also the Seagate 5400.3 which uses perpendicular recording technology. See SPCR reviews of these products for noise analysis.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:16 am

hard drive noise doesnt really seem to get better with time. alot of older drives are alot quieter than drives made today that are marketed as being "quiet".

the biggest things that seem to effect hard drive noise are spindle speed, and platter size. the smaller the platters, the less vibration and the less noise. the slower the speed the less noise you have.

then you have to find your personal balance preference between noise and performance. because for hard drives, the slower you spin the platter, and the smaller you make the platter, the slower your performance is going to be.

a few hard drive manufacturers have been able to make 5400rpm drives that are just as quiet as 4200rpm drives in the notebook arena.

the one other way to increase performance without increasing noise is to increase areal densitiy on the platter. currently the highest density single platter for notebook drives is from seagate, the momentus 5400.3 has 80gp per platter with their "perpindicular recording" technology. the highest single platter density besides this one drive are 60gb per platter. notebooks almost never use more than 2 platters because of hight restrictions. so the most space you could get in the 5400.3 is 160gb, and on the older platter technology its 120gb.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

all of that said, no matter how fast your hard drive is, you will notice when your system swaps to the hard drive while your running a program. the entire technology of hard drives is inately slow when compared to everything else in the system. because of this, the best thing to do it make sure your system hard swaps to the hard disk as little as possible. you can do this by putting more ram in your system, because your system only hard swaps to the hard drive when it runs out of system memory.

also, because no matter how fast of a hard drive i get i never want it to actually kick in while playing a game or somthing, my personal preference is to get the quietest drive possible, and then do my best to make sure the system never hard swaps to it, and its only used when i'm actually saving/installing/transfering files n such.

Mats

Post by Mats » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:19 am

What about Samsung M60? Is it just like the M40 when it comes to noise?

Steve_Y

Post by Steve_Y » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:30 am

Mats wrote:What about Samsung M60? Is it just like the M40 when it comes to noise?
I've haven't had much luck in finding information about the M60. I've been considering getting one as the SATA version is easily available in the UK and seems to be cheaper than other 100/120Gb 2.5" drives. The greater density compared with the M40 should mean that it's a bit faster and I don't see any reason why it should be louder.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this drive? Or even a link to a group test where it's compared with a few others?