NO WAY! HDD idle at 70 Degrees Celcius!!!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JohnnyWakko

NO WAY! HDD idle at 70 Degrees Celcius!!!

Post by JohnnyWakko » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:08 am

You wouldn't beleive it. I was/still am thinking about getting a fan controller so before I did I installed SpeedFan to get a feel for the whole fan control thing.

This is what I see when I load it up:

How in the hell does it get that hot? In fact it was 70degrees Celcius before I tried to get it cooler It hadn't even been formated!!!! It wasn't even being used! It was sitting there doing S.F.A.!

It was plugged in, and powered though. So I moved both of my Seagate 60gig Drives into the middle of my A180B lower hard drive bay to see if it heating up because I previously had it next to the bay wall. Still it is red hot! Is this a speed fan malfunction? The HDD feels alot hotter than the other one, so I sense there is something wrong.

Am I sitting next to a ticking time bomb? Shall I get my extinguisher handy?

ARrrgh!

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:16 am

theres a couple of things that could be happening... your harddrive is dieing.. the thermal probe in ur hard drive dieing.. or it really just is that hot

whiic

Post by whiic » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:27 am

"Is this a speed fan malfunction?"

Very Unlikely. SpeedFan just reads SMART values and takes the Temperature attribute reported by HDD controller then takes the raw value of that attribute and converts the last byte of that raw value to decimal form.

For example my 7K400 reports SMART Temperature attribute as follows:
value: 141, worst: 141, warn: 0, raw data: 0035000C0027.

With Hitachis, raw data can be converted to maximum temp (0x0035) (53 deg C), minimum temp (0x000C) (12 deg C) and current temp (0x0027) (39 deg C).

Seagates report would report their value a bit differently. My 7K400 isn't a Seagate but if it were, it'd probably report the tempereture like this:
value: 39, worst: 53, warn: 0, raw data: 000000000027.

Again: last byte (0x27) or last two bytes (0x0027) tells us the current temperature. Seagates also report current temperature in "value" field. Maximum temperature during life-time is reported in "worst" field. (Minimum temperature is not reported at all.) The way Seagate reports the temperature is against SMART specs as lower values should mean worse. The way Seagate reports it means running hot is "better". If we forget being agaist the specs, the way Seagate uses Temperature attribute is quite useful, different from the way Hitachi uses it, but useful still.

All other manufacturers report current temperature in raw data field, but only Hitachi and Seagate report the maximum temperature. Maximum lifetime temperature can sometimes be calculated from "worst" field of WD drives but this definitely needs performing some calculations and it also assumes several thing such as value linearity and offset. If I remember correctly WD values can be interpreted the following way:
there's "warn" value which is some constant value (for example: 45). The maximum operational temperature of WD drive is for example 55 deg C (can be found in specs). If HDD is running 20 degrees from it's maximum allowed temp (thus running at 35 deg C) the current value will be "warn" value plus 20 multiplied with some constant (constant may even be "1"). It's paramount to make some calculations at different temperatures to determine the value of this constant. After it is determined, it's possible to find the true maximum temperature of a WD.

Complicated? No, because current value is always(?) the last byte of raw data. That applies to Hitachi, Seagate, WD and Samsung.

No matter how simple it is, some HDD temperature monitoring utilities manage to f*ck the conversion. For example HDD Health converts the whole raw data instead of just one byte. For non-Hitachis, this produces the same result. But my 7K400 is currently running at 227634053159 degrees Celsius. It's hotter than the Sun.

So if SpeedFan reports 70 deg C, the HDD is telling it's running at 70 deg C. I wouldn't doubt SpeedFan working correctly but temperature senson on the HDD might be faulty. If it's running hotter than other drives, you may have a problem... but not necessarily. 70 deg C is Real Hot. Touch it and you'll burn your finger. Does it cause pain in your fingertips? If yes, then it's no doubt a ticking timebomb. Check the SMART values. What by the way is the maximum temperature (as reported in "worst" field?

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:28 am

I'd like to mention that I switched to speedfan recently (within the last 6 months) and got more serious about cooling my hard drives.

After extensive testing with Overclocking and various fan configurations I noticed that:

80mm Nexus at 5v was severely inadequate for cooling my primary hard drive.
80mm Nexus at 7v was still inadequate for cooling my primary hard drive.
80mm Nexus at 12v was slightly inadequate for cooling my primary hard drive.
80mm Topower at 7v cools the drive better than the Nexus at 12v.
80mm Topower at 12v is noiser than I'm willing to deal with at the front of my case during idle. I'd be willing to allow it to get to this speed if it were on a variable speed controller and it rarely did it.

I did all of that in an Antec 835SXII that has a drive cage that mounts a 80mm fan inside the mouth of the drive cage. I put the drive in the middle position of 3 and left the top and bottom positions open.

I did all my testing in late fall/early winter and my room temps were favorable so I'm erring on the side of caution. IE. the Nexus was borderline but acceptable at 12v in a cold room. I'm assuming when summer hits it would still be borderline but on the other side of the line. My place is temp regulated by a heat pump (electric central heating/cooling) I've recorded case temps as low as 18C (65F), normal ambient is 20 to 23 C (69 to 73F), worst case ambient I'd expect to be 27C (80F) but only a few days a year. I like to keep my entire case below 30C and my HD as close to ambient temp as possible within noise limits.

The topower is a medium speed fan that I bought years ago. I think it is rated for 2200 RPM vs the 1500 RPM of the Nexus 80mm. I'm not sure that you could buy it now but most any sleeve bearing 80mm that maxes at 1900-2200 RPM would sound similar. While the Topower at 7v is noisier than the Nexus at 12v it isn't objectionable in character and I'm willing to live with the extra decibel or three (I haven't measured it so I don't know what the difference is). It is noticeably quieter than a Antec ball bearing 80mm case fan at 7v (the 12v RPM is 2600).

If you have various fans or the ability to change the voltage of the fans you have you should try all of your options and record the drive temp at IDLE and during a format, defrag, or a long program install to test a reasonable worst case scenario for your drive. I would run a fast fan on the drive during a format or an OS install even if I had to hold in in place by hand or rig a temporary solution with the case open.

Drive cooling is definitely an issue that can not be ignored. Drives fail much quicker at 60c than they do at 30c.

If your case doesn't have a mount that lets you easily place a fan directly in front of your hard drive you should consider getting a case that does.

JohnnyWakko

Post by JohnnyWakko » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:48 pm

whiic wrote:"Is this a speed fan malfunction?"

So if SpeedFan reports 70 deg C, the HDD is telling it's running at 70 deg C. I wouldn't doubt SpeedFan working correctly but temperature senson on the HDD might be faulty. If it's running hotter than other drives, you may have a problem... but not necessarily. 70 deg C is Real Hot. Touch it and you'll burn your finger. Does it cause pain in your fingertips? If yes, then it's no doubt a ticking timebomb. Check the SMART values. What by the way is the maximum temperature (as reported in "worst" field?
Well, when the harddrive read 70degC it only felt "warm" and certainly was nowhere near the burn factor, in fact it wasn't even near 50 degC which is where my hot water is at and I can JUST tolerate that. So i guess that means there is something wrong with the reading/communicating SMART thingy. That being said, it was still warmer than my other HDD which had been defragging, so I think it is nearly ready to kick the bucket. Perhaps I will use it as an "External Harddrive Backup Unit." I wonder if it is still in warrantee. 5 years, would be close, although I do not have proof of purchase anymore.
:shock:
"Honey, now I HAAAVVEE to buy the 150gb WD Raptor because the guys online told me my old hard drive is nearly dead. We wouldn't want to loose all our romantic pictures now would we?" /me grabs AUS$350 and goes shopping. :D