7200.10 160GB Loud, abit sharp idle noise...

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nukie

7200.10 160GB Loud, abit sharp idle noise...

Post by nukie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:32 pm

I can bear with the clunky seeking noise.. I have grown to live with it since 7200.8s... but 7200.8 if i remember correctly didn't have this rather sharp constant noise cycles that happens every 2~5 seconds... It's not a high frequency per se but high enough to catch my attention every cycle or loud enough..
It's not as annoying as high frequency PSUs but would be right below that..

Is there any way to fix this? Should i return this if possible?

Btw this will be my last seagate drive (at least for main silence rig)...

I can take clunky seeks now.. but sharper idle noise is something I can't take.. and it is most annoying thing in my rig atm noise wise..

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:31 am

Seagate's stupid auto-verifying-idling-seeking function, says that they would check your drive status when idling. You can google Seagate for further information.

You could take a look at it, viewtopic.php?t=43886&highlight=seagate
it has been discussed before. Return it and get Hitachi or WD or Samsung instead, Seagate is the noisiest HDD right now.

nukie

Post by nukie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:50 am

loimlo wrote:Seagate's stupid auto-verifying-idling-seeking function, says that they would check your drive status when idling. You can google Seagate for further information.

it has been discussed before. Return it and get Hitachi or WD or Samsung instead, Seagate is the noisiest HDD right now.
I can't return it as the return time expired but I was thinking of exchanging it for another one..
so you are saying all 7200.10s have this sharp idle noise cycles?
btw, i have no problem with the clunky metal seeking noise as I mentioned on the OP. It's this weird loud sharp idle noise cycles that I can't live with atm. And i just RECHECKD my 7200.8. It may make louder hum but no such sharp idle noise cycles..
Is this a new thing with 7200.10s?
I was curious if mine is special.. Sorta hoping it is so i can exchange one and hope to get a normal one without such noises.

KenAF

Post by KenAF » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:53 am

nukie wrote:
loimlo wrote:Seagate's stupid auto-verifying-idling-seeking function, says that they would check your drive status when idling. You can google Seagate for further information.

I can't return it as the return time expired but I was thinking of exchanging it for another one..
I believe so. It is obviously much worse with some cases than others; some cases amplify the sound.

On another forum, someone suggested that the 7200.10 is the first Seagate drive in several years to support AAM. You might try enabling AAM with the Hitachi Feature Tool. I have not tried that yet.

nukie

Post by nukie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:15 pm

KenAF wrote:
nukie wrote:

I believe so. It is obviously much worse with some cases than others; some cases amplify the sound.

On another forum, someone suggested that the 7200.10 is the first Seagate drive in several years to support AAM. You might try enabling AAM with the Hitachi Feature Tool. I have not tried that yet.
AAM lowers the sharp idle noise?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:31 pm

nukie wrote:AAM lowers the sharp idle noise?
No, it will help to quiet seeks, but only a new hard drive will fix a poorly designed bearing...

Strangely enough, I procured a Maxtor 7200.10 (after Seagate bought them out), and it's quiet quiet at idle. It's quiet at seek too, when properly suspended. It doesn't hold a candle to my WD5000KS, but it's better than some of the Seagates I've heard.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:53 pm

Sorry, Seagate 7200.10 was desperately let down. From my experience, 7200 10 was noisier than .7/.8/.9, and I didn't badmouth before that even .9 was noisier than Hitachi, WD.
Seagate is a reliable HDD manufacturer, but anyone who concentrates on silence avoiding them as much as possible.

nukie

Post by nukie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:59 am

loimlo wrote:Sorry, Seagate 7200.10 was desperately let down. From my experience, 7200 10 was noisier than .7/.8/.9, and I didn't badmouth before that even .9 was noisier than Hitachi, WD.
Seagate is a reliable HDD manufacturer, but anyone who concentrates on silence avoiding them as much as possible.
I know when i first got my .8, i was abit surprised by its clunky seeking noise.. then i got used to it.. grew to live with it.. then i get this high frequency seeking idle noise from .10 which is just freaking unacceptable to me. It's not THAT loud but very annoying loud. Makes me wanna throw the HD into the wall. much like high frequency PSU at a slightly lower degree.

Really you grow to appreciate the "HUMMING" in other components when you hear such sounds.. Humming sounds get absorbed into the background as ambience whereas annoying noises always catch your nerves every time..

nukie

Post by nukie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:06 am

jhhoffma wrote:
nukie wrote:AAM lowers the sharp idle noise?
No, it will help to quiet seeks, but only a new hard drive will fix a poorly designed bearing...
saying i will get no such noise from another seagate 7200.10?

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:12 am

In my humble opinion, I think what jhhoffma meant was to get a new HDD excluding Seagate from candidates.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:54 am

loimlo wrote:In my humble opinion, I think what jhhoffma meant was to get a new HDD excluding Seagate from candidates.
That would be correct. "Badly designed bearing" being the key there. Go with a Samsung or WD drive for a much quieter experience.

nukie

Post by nukie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:03 am

well, definitly the last seagate purchase for the quiet main rig..

I did cheap out on the HD thinking it wouldn't have this ridiculous constant noise.

nukie

Post by nukie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 pm

okay I am taking to the shop tomorrow, can't take it anymore..
which 160GB or below HD is quiet and fast?

I don't need a large drive as I game mostly. Not a downloader.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:15 pm

Actually, the sweet spot for value will most likely be on a drive in the 250GB range. Western Digital has this drive for $20 more than it's 160GB variant and it will most likely be just as quiet and perform slightly faster to boot (due to increased areal density).

nukie

Post by nukie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:49 am

jhhoffma wrote:Actually, the sweet spot for value will most likely be on a drive in the 250GB range. Western Digital has this drive for $20 more than it's 160GB variant and it will most likely be just as quiet and perform slightly faster to boot (due to increased areal density).
purchased it and it fixed the high pitch whine noise! thanks!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:59 am

nukie wrote:purchased it and it fixed the high pitch whine noise! thanks!
Glad to hear it!!