WD GP with Scythe Quiet Drive?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Xuestor

WD GP with Scythe Quiet Drive?

Post by Xuestor » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm thinking about buying a WD greenpower disc. which one is most quiet (numbers of platters etc)? Would an WD GP in a quiet drive give an "near silent" storage? an signifigant change versus my f1 samsungs? (750 and 500 gb editions)

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:31 pm

I picked up two of the 1TB WD GP drives yesterday, and they are MILES ahead of my WD5000AAKS drives in terms of noise and vibration. I wasn't at SPCR when they did their testing, but everything that they've said is true.

Once installed in a decent case, you'd have a hard time hearing these drives, even during seeks.

Xuestor

Post by Xuestor » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:48 pm

the reason Im asking is that the only thing audiable in my case are my 2 samsung f1 drives. So if these WD babes really are "silent" in a Quiet Drive placed on foam, Then I'll place my order today!

*EDIT* - How's the performance drop, is it anything you notice unless viewed under benching tests?

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:59 pm

I've run benchmarking tests while they were individually configured, and managed to get decent results. I configured them in RAID1, and they perform beautifully. I just copied a 2GB encoded video from those two drives to my RAID5 array at 120MB/s. :)

I've read a lot of talk about stuttering video in HTPC setups using these drives. This is more likely from poor drivers or improper setup - not these drives. There are virtually no hard drives on the market today that can't keep up with video playback unless there is something wrong with the hardware.

kevinfelker42

Post by kevinfelker42 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:11 pm

I give the WD GP drives 2 thumbs up.

I have a 750gb, which I can't hear from across the room.

My old samsung 500gb drive drove me nuts with his rotation and clacking.

I can play a 1080p x264 MKV file (all I have is Island Fever 4 :oops: ) just fine with my single drive setup.

Edit: Mine is just in a drive bay decoupled from the case sitting on foam.
More info on my completely silent system and link to image gallery can be found here:
viewtopic.php?t=46383

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:26 pm

Is AAM enabled or disabled for you guys?

kevinfelker42

Post by kevinfelker42 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:33 pm

I've been seeing that term a lot, Automatic Acoustic Management I see it means...

How would one know if it is enabled? Where would I go to do it?

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:34 pm

My drive is hard mounted (I know, I know - horrible) and I haven't touched any AAM settings.

The reason why it's hard mounted is because this is my file server, where important data goes. I'm a bit worried by having 10 drives all suspended, and the possibility of them hitting each other is a little daunting. I'm trying to work out a way of gutting old CD drives and putting a suspension system in there, but that's a WIP at the moment.