Best way to cool SCSI and block high-frequency noise?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Supernaut

Best way to cool SCSI and block high-frequency noise?

Post by Supernaut » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:43 am

I searched this forum, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I have a Fujitsu MAJ3182MP 10K RPM SCSI hard drive in a FK-333 case. The drive's idle noise is quiet, but it's also high-pitched, and therefore undesirable. Assuming I keep the same case, what are the best ways to muffle the idle noise from this hard drive while cooling it adequately? Which methods should I explore to substantially reduce high-frequency drive noise, while still keeping the drive reasonably cool? Would the newer Smart Drive be a good choice?

Thanks in advance.

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:52 am

I can't offer you advice at the moment, but I am also working with the FK-333 and a SCSI drive, a Seagate 15K.3.

I'd like to ask you a question about case resonances -- mine vibrates audibly (about 280 Hz; that's a C# above middle C) with the standard drive mounting system. That is just about where the drive has a resonance, and the drive cage transmits the vibration through to the case walls, where it is amplified like a piano sound board.

Does your case do this? Or am I just "blessed?"

FWIW, I currently have my drive on a piece of foam sitting on the case floor just next to the motherboard. This is a short-term fix, and is probably lousy for cooling, but is does help reduce all sorts of noises (including the SCSI whine) substantially.

DrJ

Supernaut

Post by Supernaut » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:00 am

I haven't noticed any resonance, but I haven't listened closely. I'll try taking the drive out of the mounting and observing what noise it produces, and posting my results in a day or two.

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:23 pm

I appreciate that -- thanks!

The resonance in my system sounds like a huuummmm. At first I thought it was the CPU fans. I can also feel the vibration on the top and sides of the case exterior.

DrJ