Transporting PC w/ shock cord drive suspension

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Transporting PC w/ shock cord drive suspension

Post by aphonos » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:13 am

The "stability" of the shock cord drive suspension was brought up in this thread Suspending the Raptor (not the first place I've seen such remarks). Rather than hijack Joe's thread, I moving the discussion of this sub-point to its own thread.
Joe DeFuria wrote:The downside of the bungee is of course, "stability" (in terms of mounting). I'm looking into a new way to mount the drive in the same location, still decoupled, but with a more stable means.
The "stability" of the shock cord suspension seems to get questioned quite a bit. What do you guys do with your PCs? Shotput? :shock:

The cable ties on the drives at least keep the drives from breaking completely free either front to back or left to right. This seems "safer" to me than the twisted elastic mounting in a 5.25" bay. Granted there is a bit of sway with the shock cord mounting--that's the point of the suspension, yes? And granted, there is more sway with a longer suspension such as what Joe has done. Which, of course, gives more cord to absorb vibration and reduce transmission to the case (thinking of lengthening my cords as a result, btw).

But I really am curious as to what kind of transportation or movement you guys do with your computer(s) that a well placed piece(s) of foam would not prevent damage to the drives when they are mounted using the shock cord/cable-tie method??

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:26 am

Scott - I think you're 100% right on the money. You'd have to get pretty crazy with a shok-cord suspended drive to do some damage to it.

I suppose if you were really worried you could tie the drive down from the bottom side with some more shok-cord without much tension on it. That would serve to keep the drive from swaying as you're spinning the case around your head in preparation for tossing it. :)

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:28 am

Well, I keep my computers on the floor (actually, they are on a stand). So, in order to do anything with the innards of the computer, I'll have to pull the computer out and lift it on a table. Given the size and weight of my case, it's quite hard do pull it out without shaking it at all.

But, as You mentioned, few well-placed pieces of foam would be sufficient while shipping. Or, just take the whole bungee installation out while shipping. :)

Cheers,

Jan

Joe DeFuria

Re: Transporting PC w/ shock cord drive suspension

Post by Joe DeFuria » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:35 am

aphonos wrote:The "stability" of the shock cord suspension seems to get questioned quite a bit. What do you guys do with your PCs? Shotput? :shock:
Hammer throw actually. What do you think I'm doing with the left-over shock cord? ;)

Seriously, yes, because I have it hanging down particularly low (I did it that way to leave the wide open air-space for air-flow), the drive "swings" pretty freely.

Some of the things that concern me:
1) Cleaning people: They may move the computer when they clean / vacuum. Having the case moved "abruptly" or having it tip over is not something I'd like to see happen with the drive suspended the way I have it.

2) Ease of drive access. Granted, once the machine is "set-up", there's not much need to go inside and move things around...but having the suspension takes a bit more care and time to "mount and unmount" drives.

In fact...the reason I RMA'd my samsung is due to damage I inflicted on it when ataching the Raptor to the suspension mechanism. :oops: This could have been avoided by putting foam between the Raptor and the Samsung while trying to mount the raptor, but nevertheless, it happened. (I'll give the gory details if you want to know. )

Don't get me wrong, the bungee suspension is just awesome in terms of decoupling. If I cannot get satisfactory results with another method, I will continue to use the bungee method...but hey, if I can have my cake (quiet) and eat it too (secure), I will. ;)

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:37 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:That would serve to keep the drive from swaying as you're spinning the case around your head in preparation for tossing it. :)
Too much work. A trebuchet would work much better.

Trebuchet / Unveiling and trebuchet party

This wasn't me. I just found it from a search. Though it would be fun =)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:19 pm

Did anyone see this episode of Monster Garage where they built the Delivery Van with the trebuchet in it? It was pretty cool. While I'm at it, I'll plug Mythbusters as well. This is, far and away, the best show on TV.

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:32 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:While I'm at it, I'll plug Mythbusters as well. This is, far and away, the best show on TV.
Lol...the Mythbuster Episode concerning the "Fat Ass being Stuck to an AirLine Toilet Seat via Flush Suction" was quite good. ;)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:46 pm

Joe DeFuria wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:While I'm at it, I'll plug Mythbusters as well. This is, far and away, the best show on TV.
Lol...the Mythbuster Episode concerning the "Fat Ass being Stuck to an AirLine Toilet Seat via Flush Suction" was quite good. ;)
One of my favorites was the one where thay had the crash test dummy sitting on the toilet full of gasoline vapor and tried to light it by dropping his cigarette butt into the toilet. They couldn't get it to do much and ended up pouring some black powder (or something equally as explosive) into the toilet and blowing the entire thing up. The dummy ended up with his ass pretty burned and his cigarette still firmly clutched between his fingers.

And what about the one where they had the guy pissing on the electrified third-rail. Or how about the rotting pig carcases in the Corvette, or how about ........

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:01 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote: or how about ........
I'm gonna start calling you "Hijack" :roll: :lol:

I know, I know....it was all BillyBuerger's fault....but you did jump on the wagon..... :)
Last edited by aphonos on Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:06 pm

There was this one time...in Band Camp.....