How Loud Are Raptors Compaired To...

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Doug

How Loud Are Raptors Compaired To...

Post by Doug » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:01 pm

I have some Samsung Sp1614n's, and they appear to be pretty quite, I just picked up a couple of Raptors, a 36g, and a 74g. Before I go bust them open, can anyone tell me the actual/perceived difference in volume between theses drives? I like the idea of the FAST raptors, but if they are WAY louder than the Samsungs, I will just get some more Samsungs. Currently I have 3 of the sp1614n's in a raid 5 config in my server, and some older Maxtor drives, a 40 and an 80 (the 80 is the loudest thing in my primary PC, which I was thinking of replacing those 2 HD's with a couple of raptors, in raid 1 (mirror, right? Or is that 0?). Now, if the Raptors ARE much louder, does someone make a box that will handle the heat, and bring the noise down? And, lst but not least, IF there is an enclosure that can handle the heat of the Raptors, how much quiter does it make the drives... would they then be down to the point where the Samsung's are? Thanks! :)

Doug

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:05 am

One question... are the Raptors you have the new fluid bearing models? If not, you might want to exchange them for the new model. They're supposed to be much quieter than the original version.

JimK

Post by JimK » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:52 am

All the 74 GB Raptors are Fluid Bearing but I don't think the smaller 36 GB Raptors have been changed from Ball Bearing to Fluid Bearings yet. If you can buy it, the smaller one will be BB. I recall folks saying the new smaller FB drives would be called "37" GB to seperate them from the older "36" ones.

Search the Silent Storage section for "Raptor" as there are many threads.

Joe seems pleased with his Raptor after several different trys to quiet it as reported in this thread.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:46 am

How loud is Raptor compared to Samsung spinpoints? Best available answer that I've been able to find is here:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... sone#69650

regards,
halcyon