Noisy RAID 0 - Moved to Samsung HD502HI

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pixel

Post by pixel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:03 am

Well, glad to hear it's 500 GB/platter only :)

I ran HDTach a few times yesterday.. The transfer rate (Read, I think) starts at 110 and drops to about 55-60 at the "end" of the disk.

I'm at work ATM, will post some graphs when I get home. I'm also planning to link to those graphs in the "Samsung F2 EcoGreen is out!" thread, revitalized with the SPCR review (very nice review, BTW..)

I also messed up a bit with Victoria. It only seemed to be able to put AAM to minimum (using Win 7 RC, so there might be an incompatibility. Had to use "Admin rights" just to get it to open!). I tried a few more programs and finally settled on hdparm to set the AAM level.

With AAM set to 254 (fastest / loudest) the transfer rate was between 110 - 55 MB/sec, with an access time of 14,9 ms. Setting AAM to 128 increased the access time to 17,7 ms, with no detectable decrease in transfer rate (as expected).

Victoria's "access time test" did work, though. For measure sound at least (the reported access time didn't seem very accurate). With AAM set to 254, I could hear "clicking" from the drive (probably the heads) as I ran the test - not disturbing though, in fact I had to pay attention to notice it. Once I did notice it, it remained audible. If I get disturbed by it I'll play some more with the AAM (what setting would you recommend? 200 or so? I have to check the noise by Victoria's test again..).

I haven't yet played a game on the new drive / OS; I hope level loading times won't become unbearably long (coming from 2x 7.200 rpm RAID 0). Up to now, with normal "daily" usage it's not annoying at all - I'm quite pleased with my purchase. Thanks for all the help! :)

By the way; I used to think my FSP Epsilon 600W PSU was making a lot of noise (in fact it was the HDD's screwed to the case), so I checked SPCR and bought an Enermax MODU82+ 625W. The PSU is very hard to find nowadays, might even be discountinued; but it's doing its job almost silently and without problems. I have to put my ear next to it to hear a soft "whoosh"ing sound, with its 120 mm fan running at about 500 rpm.

If you can hear the PSU fan at 350 rpm; you must have VERY acute hearing! :) (The biggest noise I hear while using the PC is my tinnitis, developed after years of headphone usage I think. Sadly I can't do much about it.. :( )

Ksanderash

Post by Ksanderash » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:24 am

pixel
Hey, Enermax MODU82+ 625W is a dream PSU, quiet, cool... Look on you with admiring envy ;) I'm sure that my modified InWin IP-S350Q2 is quieter that any non-fanless PSU (on this forum even, khe-khe), but it's of course less effective and powerful than Enermax. These are top PSUs.

Concerning AAM -- I've put there 176ms for my HD502HI. Btw, the less AAM value you set, the less energy the actuator of the drive (the thing that moves the heads) consumes! It isn't so significant drop (~0.5W maybe), but this is nice pecularity, I think :)

I have a quite usual hearing. My goal is just not to know that computer is ON, when it's evening/night time. When I play on ATI 4670 my favorite games, the PC becomes VERY audible -- GPU's 50W must be dissipated somehow though.

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:01 am

pixel wrote: During Windows installation I did notice some writing sounds from the disc
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm interested in this drive. But I've read newegg-reports saying the read/write noise is quite high. I wonder if suspension and dampening mats and AAM will remedy it.
My current Samsung drive suffers from severe vibrational noise but read and seek noise are almost nil.

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:37 am

new2spcr wrote:
pixel wrote: During Windows installation I did notice some writing sounds from the disc
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm interested in this drive. But I've read newegg-reports saying the read/write noise is quite high. I wonder if suspension and dampening mats and AAM will remedy it.
My current Samsung drive suffers from severe vibrational noise but read and seek noise are almost nil.
Edit:

Never mind ^ post. I re-read the HD502HI review carefully and noted that any seek noise can be remedied by suspending the HDD.