Sorbothane HDD isolation

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sooty

Sorbothane HDD isolation

Post by Sooty » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:50 pm

Just found these drawings on the Sorbothane site: http://www.sorbothane.com/PDF/sor_compiso.pdf I can’t make out some of them, especially the screen one. Can find no other info on their site about these. To my novice eye, the corner HDD isolators look a neat solution.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:26 am

My homemade, low tech version using 1/2" x 1/2" Sorbothane strips:

Here's a method (replace the foam with Sorbothane) that comes close to the "Sorbothane studs" method that's shown in your pdf.

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:48 am

Ralf,

That drive is just "resting" on top of the sorbothane, correct?

Have you considered fashining "sorbothane screws" like this:

And securing the hard drive? (Keep the sorbothane in place like you have, push the screws through to your underside hard drive mounting hole.) I'd be curious to know if secured in that way, you still get the complete decoupling effect.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:02 am

Joe DeFuria wrote:Ralf,

That drive is just "resting" on top of the sorbothane, correct?
Yes' it's just resting on top of the Sorbothane, held in place by the stickyness of the Sorbothane. It's not a big deal to me because, 1) I rarely move my case, and if I do I'll just wedge a piece of foam on top of the drive to hold it into position, and 2) the sorbothane itself is quiet sticky and holds the drive fairly well, and 3) the IDE and power supply cables act as a last-ditch fail-safe method of keeping the drive from moving very far.
Joe DeFuria wrote:Have you considered fashioning "sorbothane screws" like this:...
I've tried to find some of those "Sorbothane studs" that are shown on the Sorbothane website but I haven't found any that have the correct size threads on the top for mounting them to the drive.

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:29 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:I've tried to find some of those "Sorbothane studs" that are shown on the Sorbothane website but I haven't found any that have the correct size threads on the top for mounting them to the drive.
Just "make your own" studs. ;) Those in the pic are just "regular" screws with some bits cut from 1/8" sorbothane. In your case, you'll just need to find a screw that's about 3/4" long with the right threads for the hard drive.