Has anyone tried out a Ahanix d.Vine HD Enclosure

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Wintermute

Has anyone tried out a Ahanix d.Vine HD Enclosure

Post by Wintermute » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:58 pm

As I was looking through the forums I came across to a link to the Ahanix site. Ahanix really make some very nice looking gear. In any event, I have for a HD enclosure so that I could keep my backups on an external drive - it's portable and can be turned off when not in use so as to avoid any noise. I have searched all over the place for a HD enclosure without finding anything that was both functional and nice to look at. The black d.Vine enclosure is SWEET. It would definately look nice perched on top of a Sonata. Before I shell out $100 though, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

http://www.ahanix.com/hdbk.html

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:41 am

It doesn't look like it comes with a vent fan but it looks lke there's provision to mount one. Personally I wouldn't (and don't) run an external HDD without some active cooling, even though those little 40mm fans are not super quiet, at best. If I owned that DVine enclosure I'd cut out the fan grill and use one of those (relatively) quiet 40mm Adda fans.

bomba

Post by bomba » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:42 am

I've got a cheap Plumaz 5.25 USB2.0 external enclosure with internal power supply and 40mm fan. Fan is quite loud, definitely wouldn't want it used with any regularity. Works fine for archiving & back-ups though. Newegg has an interesting line of passively cooled external enclosures by Speeze. Their cases are cool looking and are designed to allow natural convection airflow and act as heatsinks. Reportadely decent cooling and no fan noise. They have models w/ USB2.0, 1394 and/or SATA interfaces. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 14&order=1