So are the Samsungs or Seagate quieter right now?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RLiu818

So are the Samsungs or Seagate quieter right now?

Post by RLiu818 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:47 pm

Out of the models available at newegg.

which one is the quietest? some say samsung some say seagate.

does SATA matter in regards to noise?

I need to pick my hd tomorrow so i need to decide between the current samsung and seagate.

i believe some people were comparing them to the older models or giving thier experience with older models but i wanna know which of the two current models is quieter.

thanks

Project

Post by Project » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:53 pm

samsung would probably be a little quieter, but i would go with Seagate. HDs are the most important part. I can deal with a little noise if i get better reliability

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:04 pm

Not to come across too harshly, but this same question seems like it's asked once or twice per day. Maybe everyone that wants to choose between these two brand of HDDs should go back and read the other 50,000 posts that have asked the same question. For instance, three of the last four posts have asked the question "which is better, Samsung or Seagate".

(RLiu818 - Nothing personal against you, I guess that it just took this particular post for my patience to run out. You're ending up getting stick from me because it's 95° in here right now, so don't take it personally. :) )

RLiu818

Post by RLiu818 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:19 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Not to come across too harshly, but this same question seems like it's asked once or twice per day. Maybe everyone that wants to choose between these two brand of HDDs should go back and read the other 50,000 posts that have asked the same question. For instance, three of the last four posts have asked the question "which is better, Samsung or Seagate".

(RLiu818 - Nothing personal against you, I guess that it just took this particular post for my patience to run out. You're ending up getting stick from me because it's 95° in here right now, so don't take it personally. :) )
i have read those threads and actually that is the reason why i created this one because i wanted to comopare the two current models available. it seems that alot of people were giving their input based on their past experiences but i was hoping to get a comparaison of the two current models available at newegg.

at first the majority favored Samsung, but then some people say the current samsungs whine. so i got a bit confused and hoped i can find the answer i am looking for by creating this thread since i have to order my parts no later than tomorrow night.

yermolovd

Post by yermolovd » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:24 pm

Ralf Hutter
Why don't you just glue them all together? I had the same question, a bit different, cuz Samsung is harder for me to get, but I asked in the thread already opened, isntead of creating new one, because I know it will make mods a bit mad :wink:.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:36 pm

Sigh...

It seems like the Samsung camp is polarized. You either get a good one (the vast majority of the people) and love them, or you get a noisy one (the small minority, at least according to our in-house poll) and hate 'em.

The Seagates on the other hand, seem more predictable. They all have loud seeks and run warm.

My 2¢, FWIW.

edit - I can't type.
Last edited by Ralf Hutter on Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

cruelsister

Post by cruelsister » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:21 pm

I purchased a Seagate 120GB SATA. Seek noise is not a problem after I unscrewed it from the drive cage and placed it on foam at the bottom of the case, but it still has an annoying whine to it (very very high pitched).

This is the 3rd hard drive in my system. Both my original Seagate IV and a Westen Digital 800JB (also on foam) are acoustically superior.

yermolovd

Post by yermolovd » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:23 pm

800JB superior to Seagate's 120? LOL, I must have a really bad 800JB... :cry:

cruelsister

Post by cruelsister » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:15 pm

The only reason I bought the WD was that I got it after rebate for $15. Couldn't pass that up.

When I had it screwed into the hd bracket it had the usual loud seek noise and buzz, but placing the drive on foam and decoupling it from the case---it surprised me. If any of you have them, try it.

The Baracuda IV is without doubt the King. I wish I had the forsight (and money) to have purchased more than the one that I'm using for Master.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:54 pm

If your WD800JB is quieter than your Seagate, the Seagate is toasty; send it in for replacement.

Period.

nels0360

Post by nels0360 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:01 am

Do not buy a Samsung SP1614C from NewEgg. I just did and I got it yesterday. The drive uses the JVC motor and emits a high pitch whine. The seeks are quiet but the whine is highly annoying.

PS. if you want to buy mine let me know ;)

RLiu818

Post by RLiu818 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:59 am

nels0360 wrote:Do not buy a Samsung SP1614C from NewEgg. I just did and I got it yesterday. The drive uses the JVC motor and emits a high pitch whine. The seeks are quiet but the whine is highly annoying.

PS. if you want to buy mine let me know ;)
hmm i was gonna purchase the 120gb version of that. so the SATA samsungs are whiny now huh?

i wonder if the seagates are whiny

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:09 am

hi,
i did post "newegg bad eggs" and i see there is at least one

"Do not buy a Samsung SP1614C from NewEgg."

Erikro

Post by Erikro » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:38 pm

i bought the samsung 1614 sata because it was the quietset, it is. BUT it has a terrible high pitched whining noice when very active.
I can hear it from 3 meters away easy.