www.overclockers.co.uk for nidec motor samsung spinpoints.

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hugekebab

www.overclockers.co.uk for nidec motor samsung spinpoints.

Post by hugekebab » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:39 am

hi,

i ordered two spinpoints from overclockers for raid 0. sods law had it that one was a nidec and the other a jvc. i simply phoned up overclockers and the guy on sales went to the storeroom found a nidec sent it to me and allowed me to rma the jvc motor. he also did not charge me for delivery on the new nidec i ordered and sent it on next day delivery.

if youre in the uk and you want a nidec overclockers are cheap and if you phone up sales they will probably find a nidec one for you cus they did for me!

cheers

celeronmanuk

Post by celeronmanuk » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:25 am

Picked up 3 nidec spinpoints from my local PC World who were doing 3 for 2 on components for an opening weekend offer. Found one JVC in amongst them.

The guys on the parts desk though I was nuts asking to open the boxes up to check the motor manufacturer :lol:

Very pleased with them though, got 2 of them in Raid 0. The are quieter than my old barracuda IV and a whole lot faster :D

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:05 pm

yup! im getting mine tommorow, cant wait to see how fast raid is.

IdontexistM8

Re: www.overclockers.co.uk for nidec motor samsung spinpoint

Post by IdontexistM8 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:25 pm

hugekebab wrote:hi,

i ordered two spinpoints from overclockers for raid 0. sods law had it that one was a nidec and the other a jvc. i simply phoned up overclockers and the guy on sales went to the storeroom found a nidec sent it to me and allowed me to rma the jvc motor. he also did not charge me for delivery on the new nidec i ordered and sent it on next day delivery.

if youre in the uk and you want a nidec overclockers are cheap and if you phone up sales they will probably find a nidec one for you cus they did for me!

cheers
You can do the same with www.tekheads.co.uk and they have price match option.

They've got a much better rep than overclockers too

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:10 am

Got a Nidec SP1614N from Dabs this past week. I have previously got them from Overclockers, and would use them again, apart from hearing that the owner has affiliations with a white supremacist organisation. I don't know how true that is, but it did influence my decision (and I think dabs were cheaper!). Service wise for me Overclockers has been fine, and Dabs always get any in stock orders to me next day.

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:18 am

Yeah, OCUK have an appalling reputation for customer service and returns.
I've ordered from them twice and never had a problem, but then I've never needed either their customer service or returns service.
http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/company.php?35 for evidence.

If you are trying to determine Nidec/JVC I'd try these fellas.
Their harddrives are here, including Spinpoints.
Yes the site isn't brilliant, selection is fairly limited and prices are a couple of quid higher than elsewhere, BUT (and it's a big but) customer service and technical support is second to none.
The guys running it regularly go out of their way to source hard to find parts for you (they've done so for me before) and the excellent service more than makes up for a couple of quid on the price.
KPC's feedback: http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/company.php?242

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:35 am

meglamaniac wrote:Yeah, OCUK have an appalling reputation for customer service and returns.
I've ordered from them twice and never had a problem, but then I've never needed either their customer service or returns service.
http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/company.php?35 for evidence.

If you are trying to determine Nidec/JVC I'd try these fellas.
Their harddrives are here, including Spinpoints.
Yes the site isn't brilliant, selection is fairly limited and prices are a couple of quid higher than elsewhere, BUT (and it's a big but) customer service and technical support is second to none.
The guys running it regularly go out of their way to source hard to find parts for you (they've done so for me before) and the excellent service more than makes up for a couple of quid on the price.
KPC's feedback: http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/company.php?242
Kustom are very helpful (I asked them as well) but just a bit too pricey.

Wouldn't stop me using them if they had what I wanted though.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:54 am

I've decided that I want a pair of Samsungs. I've given up waiting for the new Seagates, and have also decided that I am unlikely to be able to afford the newer drives anyway looking at some of the prices that I have seen.

The bad news is that the Nidec motored Samsungs seem to have run out atm. Kustom PCs were happy to look and supply Nidec motored drives, but were only able to offer 120Gb Nidecs.

www.tekheads.co.uk do not have any 160Gb Samsungs at all.

Atm I am still waiting to hear back from www.overclock.co.uk to see what they have to say.

Overclockers said that they were unable to tell what motors the drives had prior to shipment. We know this not to be true from the above, so that means to me that they have none left.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:38 pm

so are new samsung HD's no longer using nidec?

when the heck will samsung move up to 100 or 120gb platters?

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:08 pm

I wouldn't expect better spinpoints, this happened with baracudas and panaflos, and now spinpoints too(although a store here had them when I called a few weeks ago). All these discontinued good products are getting annoying.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:34 pm

perhaps we should wait for 7200.8!

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:25 am

It looks like we may have no other option. Mind you, the poll about the whine from Samsung drives is not totally damming against the JVC motors. I just know that I will be one of the unlucky people to end up with a loud one.

I'm kind of tempted to just go out and but a fast large HDD and rely on a SilentMax drive enclosure to calm everything down.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:03 am

Just bought a SP1614N (8Mb, 160GB) from www.verkkokauppa.com yesterday.

It has a Nidec motor in it. Mfg stamp is 2004.09.

Schroinx

Post by Schroinx » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:17 pm

I have 3 SP1624C, from different batches. How do I tell the difference? Is it on the label?

BTW: Why would you go RAID 0? There really is no speed gain, but surely a cpu penalty, and you double the chance of data loss and lose the data on both disks instead of only on one.