Will I hear Samsung JVC whine in an Antec Sonata case?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mshan

Will I hear Samsung JVC whine in an Antec Sonata case?

Post by mshan » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:09 pm

Assuming all other components are up to SPCR levels of quietness, will I be able to perceive a Samsung hard drive's JVC whine within a closed Antec Sonata case located about 0.5 meters from my ears?

ActionAttackJohn

Post by ActionAttackJohn » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:17 pm

Undampened, yes. Covered in PaxMate or similar, no.

Think of it this way. A bb leaves a bb gun at around 200mph. If you shoot a bb at a wall, it bounces off. What would a truck traveling at 200mph do to the same wall? Crash right through.

It's helpful to think of high and low frequency sound waves as "heavy" and "light". Thick, dense materials will help to trap high frequency sound waves.

mshan

Post by mshan » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Is the whine low level and irritating (i.e. it is hard to ignore) or is it easy to ignore / forget?

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:25 pm

It's very annoying. I decided to just use my spinpoint as a backup drive because of it. In comparison, my PSU causes a whistling noise of similar frequency, but that I think I can ignore.

mr pink

Post by mr pink » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:55 am

In my antec 3700 bqe I cant hear any whine from the jvc/spinpoint at all. I hear the heads seeking a bit though.

kesv

Post by kesv » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:53 am

mr pink wrote:In my antec 3700 bqe I cant hear any whine from the jvc/spinpoint at all. I hear the heads seeking a bit though.
It appears that not all spinpoints with jvc motors whine (as much), only some do. There are no reliable numbers to go by however.

mystic_fm

Post by mystic_fm » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:43 am

I have a Samsung Spinpoint 1614 with a JVC motor in a Sonata case. At first I didn't notice any noises at all from the drive, but now I can occasionally detect a little bit of seek noise (sounds more like a distant rustling than a seek, really, and I usually have to be listening for it to hear it). Other than that I still don't hear it at all. But then again I don't have a super-silent PC (not with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro sitting in the case!), so my threshold of silence may be quite different from yours. All I can tell you is that I'm happy with the combination.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:14 pm

Um, maybe I missed a step here, but shouldn't any plans to use a Samsung in a Sonata involve a suspension method?

Samsungs in BQEs practically require it, and I wouldn't be too surprised if Samsung drives vibrated in a Sonata case as well.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:55 pm

When I got my JVC nonFDB Samsung, I debated returning it long & hard but decided to keep it. The reason was that the noise level wasn't too different from that of my Seagate drives. In fact one of the Seagates made a buzz that was way more irritating.

I've put the spinpoint on strips of melamine and frankly the noise isn't bothering me any. But this also means that the hdd isn't hardmounted or secured in any way. It's simply resting on foam. The PSU is louder. Tomorrow, I'll be changing the PSU and cutting up the drive cage and the rear fan grill to lower overall noise level. Hopefully the samsung will not emerge as the new noiseiest part.