Raptor Harddisk

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LBadvance

Raptor Harddisk

Post by LBadvance » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:46 am

How loud is the idle and seek time of the raptor harddisk as opposed to the seagate sata...

The Instigator

Post by The Instigator » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:01 am

The idle isnt too bad, but the seeks are quite loud. Silencing my raptor has been a losing battle and I wouldnt reccomend it if you want a silent PC. Its not an obnoxious sounding seek, but very noticeable in a quiet system. The thing is REALLY fast though.

LBadvance

Post by LBadvance » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:15 pm

The SATA segate i currently have isnt very quiet as stated... It makes very loud Dee-Dee-Dee sounds during seek.

I can stand the Dee-Dee-Dee seek sounds if its only during loading and seek. Which believe the raptor would have.

What i want to know is that is there an annoying idle sound.

Will suspending the harddisk help quiet the harddisk seek noise?

BTW im using this setup in a Shuttle SB81P (which isnt the quietist of them all)

The Instigator

Post by The Instigator » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:14 pm

At idle, my raptor is about as quiet as my JVC spinpoint which is in turn quieter than a standard WD Caviar Drive. It has a sort of hissing sound like airflow but is not particularly loud or annoying.

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 am

I have a Raptor mounted on EAR grommets in the standard drive trays of an AcoustiPacked Antec SLK3700-BQE. There is a very quiet high pitched whine, and seeks are audible but not loud. It wasn't noticeable uintil I silenced the chipset and fanmated the graphics card fans in my system.

HellDiver

Post by HellDiver » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:44 am

I have one of the old school WD360GD Raptors with the BB's. It's as quiet as the Samsung SP1213C it sits above. Seeks are probably about the same too, although the Samsung is set to AAM off. The WD is at it's default setting.