Another HDD suspension -- with cooling

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

timbo

Post by timbo » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:32 pm

weeee first post. hi everyone, been reading for some time great place to ponder in silence....

Here is what I've done to my cuda 120g drive. Suspended in a 5.25 tray and bolted a heat sink to the drive to help cooling since you don't get the case as a heat sink any more. With a mod I'm in the process of doing now the PSU draws air from the front of the case past the hdd and out, I've separated the lower part of the case (md, fdd etc) so only cool air goes through the psu.

Here are a couple of snaps...

Regards
Tim
8)

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:19 pm

Set ups where drives sit on foam on the floor can use a simple securing using the very small type bungee and some eyebolts affixed to the floor. To enhance cooling go to local plumbing supply for copper. There are strips about 1" wide with some holes used to mount copper pipe and when screwed onto the HD's sides make good heatsinks. Many folks seem perplexed with decoupling,feelin that those 3 1/2" bays need to be used- don't be a wimp,get a sabresaw or dremel and get the dumbass bay out,a 4 drive hanging array nylon hammock with clip-on elastic hangers and a turnbuckle and elastic stabilizing setup+the aforementioned copper heatspreaders could easily be drawn up-the trick is to charm someone with a sewing machine to sew the basic unit togather. It could look cool in a LL Bean way

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:35 pm

T,

That looks nice. I think the mass of the heatsink is good for damping as well as cooling. - FG

Pilot

Post by Pilot » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:06 am

I can't see closely enough on the pictures wether the HS is touching the alu sides or not. I tried at a moment to have a heatsink on my HD but the top of it does not dissipate enough heat to be effective.

So I'll try to have a wrapping piece of alu and have the HS on it.

Could you report temps before / after ?

timbo

Post by timbo » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:14 pm

Thanks for the commens everyone...

Yes the heatsink is noth firmly bolted to the aluminium sides and pressed hard down onto the HDD, I even spread some heat tranfer paste around for good measure.

I like the way it works, you do really nedd some airflow to take some of the heat away otherwise the exercise is pointless.

Very dificult with my no name case to mount the HDD in front of the intake fan.

Regards
Tim 8)

alysenne

Post by alysenne » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:28 pm

That's a great idea to add a heatsink.

I'm going to be creating an enclosure for my hard drive (when I finally get my art supply shipment). Then I was going to suspend it right in front of my case front fan. Adding the heatsink could potentially really help with the heating problems caused by an enclosure.