BOOGS

Post by BOOGS » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:10 am

Hmmm, could test

i think someone else here mentioned that the DM10 was very fast and very quiet

cant remember who though............

BOOGS

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:37 am

May I please ask the site reviewers to do a review of this drive ASAP?

I have the feeling that a perfectly good candidate is getting ignored simply because of a certain forum member who still hasn't realised that he was critised for total lack of respect for veterans and unscientific & inconsistent claims, not because the product is bad.

Preferably, the review would be done in a closed case where the additional heat effects could be better observed.

bsoft

Post by bsoft » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:47 pm

burcakb wrote:May I please ask the site reviewers to do a review of this drive ASAP?

I have the feeling that a perfectly good candidate is getting ignored simply because of a certain forum member who still hasn't realised that he was critised for total lack of respect for veterans and unscientific & inconsistent claims, not because the product is bad.

Preferably, the review would be done in a closed case where the additional heat effects could be better observed.
Yeah. I have to say, BOOGS is kind of annoying, but he/she was right about the DM10. I took a chance on it and was not disappointed. With AAM on, it's very quiet (more so than the PATA 7200.7) and there is no idle whine. It's also very fast and a good value for the 300GB capacity.

If you want more storage than the Samsung 160GB drives, I'd say that the DM10 is a great value. It does run quite hot, however, so you have to be sure that your case breathes well.

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:12 pm

I'm with burcakb on this one. Computer hardware information from forums has to be taken very critically. I trust the advice/analysis of a few of the long standing members here more than most people on most hardware forums because:

They clearly state the basis of thier conclusions/comparisons
They avoid hyperbole
They have a history here that informs their opinions

This is not to say that I think either BOOGS or bsoft are full of it, just that I have little on which to base any confidence, so I prefer to wait until I hear from a reliable source.

FWIW, I'm strongly considering the DM+10 for my next drive, I'd still like a more direct comparison to a reference standard.

Mats

Re: DM10 vs. 7200.8 300GB SATA Review @ Game PC

Post by Mats » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:54 pm

NicktheNorse wrote:More or less official:

The Maxtor is QUIETER and FASTER.
Well at least for SATA. Remember that there's often a big difference between Seagates ATA and SATA, while I haven't heard anything like that about Maxtor.

Edit: The Maxtor have twice as much cache, it's not a fair comparisation. In real world use it doesen't matter though, Since both HDs have the same price. So yes, you get more from the Maxtor at the same price.
Last edited by Mats on Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BOOGS

Post by BOOGS » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:01 pm

Yes, because Seagate no longer use AAM, whilst other manufaturers do........

hence their PATA versions are set to quiet mode, sata to noisy mode, as standard......

so, as long as u can change the AAM, doesnt matter what interface u get

soujir0u

Post by soujir0u » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:59 pm

I don't know about other places, but here in Australia I can't find anywhere that sells the 250GB DiamondMax 10.

The 300GB one costs $340 while a 250GB 7200.8 PATA costs only $200, which is rather attractive.

I'm wondering how the 250GB 7200.8 sounds, as it only has 2 platters instead of 3 on the bigger models...

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:26 pm

This might be because I'm so unlucky with samples, but I bought a 250 GB OneTouch II a few months back, which houses a 250 GB DM10.

- Idle is considerably louder.
- Seek is also louder, as a low grumbling
- Has high vibration compared to the DM9+
- The DM10 DOES run hotter than the DM9+
Performance increase between the older DM9+ isn't much.

You can see my complete comparison here
Last edited by acaurora on Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:27 pm

*Points at links in signature about getting samples...*

And if you do, get them sent to Mike, not me. I'm not in it for the free samples.

-Ed

BOOGS

Post by BOOGS » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:15 pm

acaurora wrote:This might be because I'm so unlucky with samples, but I bought a 250 GB OneTouch II a few months back, which houses a 250 GB DM10.
- Idle is considerably louder.
- Seek is also louder, as a low grumbling
- Has high vibration compared to the DM9+
- The DM10 DOES run hotter than the DM9+
Performance increase between the older DM9+ isn't much.
here
are u comparing a DM10 installed inside a metal portable enclosure, against a DM9 installed inside a PC case ????

if so, why ?

surely the enclosure isnt the same as a pc case and could easily amplify any HD ?

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:23 pm

BOOGS wrote: surely the enclosure isnt the same as a pc case and could easily amplify any HD ?
A PC case amplifies HD noise, while, at least by by one account, an external enclosure placed on something soft hardly does.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:37 pm

If you had actually clicked on the link, BOOGS, you would have found that it was a comparison between the 1st gen OneTouch and the 2nd gen, BOTH housed in metal enclosures similar in design, almost identical.