Raid 0 - one of the disk makes more noise than the other.

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stighenning

Raid 0 - one of the disk makes more noise than the other.

Post by stighenning » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:22 pm

Se my setup.. (bottom)
On the the Samsung disks spinns and make much more noise than the other. In fact, it makes so much noise that I can hear a noise like..

whooooo........ whoooo........ whooooooo....

hard to describe with word, but it sounds like fan you turn up side down and sideways.. then it will make this noise.

I wrote to Samsung, but haven't got any reply... :roll:

Also heard that a guy with this setup had the same problem;
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120 GB SATA 8MB Cache 7200RPM
..he mistaked that one of the disk had an unbalansed disk.
He bought 2 new disks.. but now with NCQ.
They have been silent.

Have you any experience with this ?

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:36 am

Do you have the drives mounted in the HD trays of Sonata? That sounds like there's some intermodulation (distortion). Use the search to find out more.

You have a rAID0 setup, so you can't just unplug one of the drives to see if it's making the noise. So, take one of the drives out of the case, and replug it outside the case to test if the noise diminishes.

Cheers,

Jan

stighenning

Post by stighenning » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:31 am

I did try to disconnect one of the Samsung drives.. (which is in Raid0 mode).. and then it was complete silence again 8)

So it seems like one of the samsung disk is making this vibration. :?

Just wondered if people have had the same problem with Raid 0 settings, making one of the harddrives spinn more than the other...

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:00 am

Although it's not quite true that disk activity always happens on both drives in a RAID 0 array simultaneously, it usually happens that way. The only likely reason one drive would produce more noise is that it's mounted in a different place that resonates more, or random sample variation (different samples of the same model can have different noise characteristics due to small differences in manufacturing).

I'd suggest swapping the drives over (kereping the same cables), and see if the same drive is noisiest, or if it's the same drive location in the case that produces the most noise. If the latter, you need to provide more damping for that drive location (or mount the drive elsewhere). If the former, then you might (possibly) have a faulty drive, or simply a variation between samples.