CompUSA HD heatsinks/rubber mounts.

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

CompUSA HD heatsinks/rubber mounts.

Post by Bluefront » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:40 pm

Link

Not bad for $13...aluminum heatsinks screw directly to the sides of the HD. Then you install the setup into a 5.25" bay, and the thing mounts with embedded soft rubber blocks, so the only part actually touching the case is the rubber. Looks nice...not at all ghetto like some of the contraptions I've seen around here. :lol:

JimK

Post by JimK » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:37 pm

Looks the same as the Nexus and since you couldn't read the name once it was in the 5.25" bay, who would know :D As long as the rubber was not harder it should be as good.
Of course there is the point that it is in a hotter part of the case unless you run the PSU duct past it.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:18 pm

You must frequent CompUSA a good bit Bluefront. lol

yeha

Post by yeha » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:34 pm

:) quoth compusa:

"Note: Hard Drive not included."

well i figured someone would beat me to it, i'd been flirting with a custom aluminum extrusion die for an all-in-one suspended-heatsinked-harddrive kit (2x heatsinks + 1x stretch magic, possibly a model that allows 2 hard drives to be suspended using two larger connected sinks), but if these are going for $13 i'd probably be wiser scrapping the idea.

Cascade

Post by Cascade » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:34 pm

I went out and bought a pair of these for a Maxtor 250GB and Seagate 120GB drive I noticed were nice and toasty in my machine.
I'm using an Antec Dragon with the rails, these things are not designed to fit on rails, the mounting screws are in a non-standard place and the rubber blocks have to be stretched by 5mm or so to compensate.

Aside from the hole issue these have quietened my drives drastically, especially seek noise. For $13 it's a bargain considering they're $15+ship from most sites.
(Just don't get too high on the thermal strips when you open the package)

templarknightx

Post by templarknightx » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:30 pm

Do they look just like unbranded Nexus DiskTwins?

Cascade

Post by Cascade » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:35 am

They look exactly the same.

After a complete virusscan of both drives I have to say they're far too small to affect temps. The transferrence is there however the design of the heatsink itself doesn't allow for good front-to-rear airflow.

Can't complain for $13 considering the sound dampening properties.

Cascade

Post by Cascade » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:14 am

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:41 pm

I finally got to try out the set I bought, and Cascade is right. They had no temp effects positive or negative on my Maxtor drive. But the acoustic benefits are quite noticeable....they eliminated almost all seek noises. For that I am grateful.

These heatsinks are probably exactly the same as the Disk Twins by Nexus, without any logo markings.

Cascade

Post by Cascade » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:19 pm

Bluefront, did you get the same brain-cell-destroying odour from the thermal strips when you took them out the packaging?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:00 pm

Cascade wrote:Bluefront, did you get the same brain-cell-destroying odour from the thermal strips when you took them out the packaging?
Let me guess: “Made in China.”

I bought a oil filter wrench with a "rubber" gasket that stunk so badly I threw it away. Probably made from re-cycled and highly contaminated petroleum products.

Cascade

Post by Cascade » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:58 am

m0002a wrote: Let me guess: “Made in China.”
You'd be right :)
I don't care where they're made as long as they work.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:08 am

Bluefront wrote:I finally got to try out the set I bought, and Cascade is right. They had no temp effects positive or negative on my Maxtor drive. But the acoustic benefits are quite noticeable....they eliminated almost all seek noises. For that I am grateful.

These heatsinks are probably exactly the same as the Disk Twins by Nexus, without any logo markings.
They must have *some* effect, if you end up with the same temperatures after moving the drives into a warmer part of the case ...

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:52 am

rtsai....not exactly. The drive is in a SFF, and was previously suspended with home-made brackets/suspension, but no heatsinks. It's now in the same spot, same cooling, same temps....but now with the new heatsinks.

FWIW....I didn't smell anything when I opened the package. Some rice did fall out however. :lol: