Cooler Master Cool Drive enclosure?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Illah

Cooler Master Cool Drive enclosure?

Post by Illah » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:02 am

Hi All,

First time on these forums but a long, long time on ocforums. Long story short, I did everything from extreme air (like 250CFM through my case!) to a 4' bong watercooler, and now I'm getting past that. I can afford to just buy a faster chip rather than beating a budget setup into the top 1% of the speed spectrum.

I've already done a host of quietdown mods including 7V fans, a new case that accomodates 120mm fans, Zalman 7000Cu cooler, NV5 Silencer, etc. All is quite good except for my two loud ass Western Digital Special Edition drives.

The majority of noise is whine, not vibration, and I've had these out of the case before and they just whine. Like a 10000Hz screech. I know high frequency sounds are easily muffed with enclosure devices, so I looked at my local shops. The Cooler Master Cool Drive 3 caught my eye.

If I bought this thing and just removed the 40mm fan and plugged up the fan hole I imagine it would contain much of the whine. Perhaps a liner of old mouse pads on the inside could help even more. Vibration might be an issue but I'll just use grommets and whatnot for that. I've positively ID'ed the noise as whine so simple suspension won't cut it - these need to be enclosed. Also I can't afford new drives right now, and at $60 I think the smartdrive enclosure is a ripoff.

If not the Cool Drive 3, I saw the QuietPC Silent Drive enclosure, but that looks like an oven despite it's cooling plates.

Thanks!

--Illah