Whats the best way to cool Seagate 7200.8?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

noddyt2

Whats the best way to cool Seagate 7200.8?

Post by noddyt2 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:21 pm

Hi

My 250GB Seagate 7200.8 HDD is giving a SMART Temp of 52C during average use.

My case has one system fan blowing air into the case(over the CPU) and relies on a Tagan 420w psu's fan as the exhaust fan.

System and CPU temps(Athlon64 3200+) are 28C and 43C respectively(good I believe).

So what is the best way to cool the HDD or is it ok as it is?

Do I need a fan in the front to blow air into the case or an extra exhaust fan on the back(have to use a dremel if I want one)? Or should I go for a HDD cooler?

I don't want the system any louder than it is now, as its only just acceptable to me(and probably not to most here:)

Thanks in advance.

james22

Post by james22 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:58 pm

A little bit of airflow does wonders for keeping drive temperaure down. Most cases have room for an 80mm intake fan over the HDD drive bays - use it. If you volt down any decent fan, it shouldn't add any more noise than your curent level.

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:28 pm

Try removing your intake fan and turning it into another exhaust fan. It'll still pull air through the front.

I found that with my case my temps didn't change at all whether I had an intake or not (with my PSU exhaust and 120mm exhaust). So in my case (situation), it was just redundant to have the intake.

Try making it another exhaust and see how temps go.

noddyt2

Post by noddyt2 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:14 pm

Thanks!

I'll work on adapting the system fan to a front intake fan. Might as well order an 80mm fan as well, as I'm buying some pc hardware anyway.

I've been thinking in the meantime about blocking all the holes in the side panel and the back of the case to try and improve the airflow(I think I'll choose a different brand of case next time:).