New 2.5" SATA HDD's from Samsung

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Slaugh

New 2.5" SATA HDD's from Samsung

Post by Slaugh » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:33 am

This is from a Samsung's press release:
SAMSUNG Offers New Serial ATA 2.5-Inch Hard Disk Drives For Notebook PC And Enterprise Computing Applications

[...]
Samsung’s latest drives, the M40S Series, are offered in three capacitates including the 40GB HM040HI ($80 Estimated Street Price) the 60GB HM060II ($100) and the 80GB HM080JI ($140). All three new drivers are currently shipping.

[...]
The M40S Series features outstanding quality. Samsung invented a revolutionary new latch mechanism that eliminates the unpleasant rattling noise of traditional 2.5-inch drives and significantly reduces the clicking noise generated when a drive moves its heads on and off the disk according to the operating modes. The drives use a Fluid Dynamic Bearing motor to achieve industry-leading operating acoustic noise levels.

Samsung’s latest 2.5-inch hard drive offerings feature Fluid Dynamic Bearing Spindle Motor Technology, ATA S.M.A.R.T. compliance, ATA Automatic Acoustic Management and ATA Streaming. To ensure the quietest drives in the industry, the M40S series utilize Samsung’s patented NoiseGuard™ and SilentSeek™ next generation technology.

FitzRoy

Post by FitzRoy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:58 am

I posted about these same drives a week ago, but it got knocked down to page 2 from a lack of interest. I would hope that silence comes before GB here, regardless of price premiums.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=25811

I installed it yesterday, just as silent as my 4200rpm toshiba, and even quieter on seeks. The seek noise is almost non-existant, it's really wierd. Completely inaudible from 2+ feet away in my silentdrive. Performs GREAT. I notice the response increase compared to my raptor, but it's not annoying at all. What an amazing performer for the lack of noise and heat! What's even stranger is it seems like it might be shorter in length than my old toshiba laptop drive. I've yet to compare them, but my HM040HI is SMALL as hell. I'll see if I can get a pic within the next week to compare its size. I like that though, 3.5" is such a donkey kong of a product. Computer parts continue to get smaller and cooler, and storage just increases its density because that's what most people want for desktop. Sad...

SPCR should get one of these to review though. I think we have a new 2.5" champ!

salvo
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by salvo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:47 pm

FitzRoy wrote:I installed it yesterday, just as silent as my 4200rpm toshiba, and even quieter on seeks. The seek noise is almost non-existant, it's really wierd. Completely inaudible from 2+ feet away in my silentdrive. Performs GREAT. I notice the response increase compared to my raptor, but it's not annoying at all. What an amazing performer for the lack of noise and heat! What's even stranger is it seems like it might be shorter in length than my old toshiba laptop drive. I've yet to compare them, but my HM040HI is SMALL as hell. I'll see if I can get a pic within the next week to compare its size.
I'm looking forward to your pics, FitzRoy. I've been keeping an eye out for the M40S and am encouraged by your initial observations. I am considering the single-platter 40's in a RAID 10. My focus is on quiet-and-speed, not capacity.