Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

patricksumner

WD400KD Impressions

Post by patricksumner » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:08 am

I installed this last night.

A7N8X
XP2800, undervolted to 1.5v
Thermalright xp90 nexus 90, undervolted
Seasonic (forget model number, 400W 80mm fan A3 rev)
9800pro AC silencer on low (Previously noisiest component)
Segate Chettah 15.3
Sonata I, highly modded. Upper chamber sealed & ducted for pwr supply. Front bezel opened, additional filtered opening under drive cage, 1 1/2" high rubber feet, cpu duct. 2X 120mm Acoustifans undervolted. Front fan pulled back from drive cage obstruction ~1" with plexiglass frame sealed to the drive cage.
Drives are mounted in sleds with grommets.

My system was virtually silent from the seated position with it located under my desk. I could hear it only at night when ambient noise dropped. It's clearly audible after adding the WD400KD (idle noise). I opened the box and placed my hand on the drive and the vibrations I could feel were way stronger than what I can feel on the 15k scsi drive.

It would be a major hassle to suspend this drive in my Sonata, so I'm likely not going to do it unless anyone else can confirm that suspension substantially reduces idle noise from vibration. I would think it might since it's a fairly low-pitched drone. Has anybody tried suspending a 4 platter drive with high (low pitched) idle noise?

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: WD400KD Impressions

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:40 am

patricksumner wrote:It would be a major hassle to suspend this drive in my Sonata, so I'm likely not going to do it unless anyone else can confirm that suspension substantially reduces idle noise from vibration. I would think it might since it's a fairly low-pitched drone. Has anybody tried suspending a 4 platter drive with high (low pitched) idle noise?
Absolutely, totally, dramatically. I think you can consider this a confirmation. :lol:

Without truly soft mounting of the HDDs, no PC is ever quiet enough, imo.

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:42 pm

I'm more of a sandwhich-the-drive-with-gel packs-and-stick-it-in-a-metal-box kind of guy myself.

Do something though. Hard mounting won't get it done. If you want to start with something easy first, try just running the drive on some dense yet squishy foam.

mshan

Post by mshan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:37 am