SMART: Raw Read Error Rate problem

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ceraf

SMART: Raw Read Error Rate problem

Post by ceraf » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:21 pm

today while i was using my computer, the hard drive seemed to be somewhat slower than usual at loading things like games. I thought this was just one of those "slow comp" moments where you just needed a reboot to fix.

I decided to change the video card as well since i needed to turn it off. After i did, the computer was POSTing, and then it gave me a warning about the hard drive having some future possible data loss. I immediately checked the SMART monitoring values using speedfan, and the Raw Read Error Rate went from about 80 down to a 1.

I'm not sure whether it's just the monitoring that's malfunctioning, or my hard drive is really gonna die soon. Any input?

kesv

Re: SMART: Raw Read Error Rate problem

Post by kesv » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:14 am

ceraf wrote:I'm not sure whether it's just the monitoring that's malfunctioning, or my hard drive is really gonna die soon. Any input?
Usually, if the smart monitoring for the drive works at all, it works correctly. Most of the logic for smart is embedded in the drive firmware and the monitoring software just makes some calls to read it.

A failing smart status is grounds for replacement on warranty, so if your drive still has warranty left, replace it.