My attempt at stretch magic in the gigabyte aurora

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Brodel

My attempt at stretch magic in the gigabyte aurora

Post by Brodel » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:34 am

ok, Ive seen a lot of people with this mod so I decided to try it myself. I set up the suspended HD's and made recordings so you can compare the difference and decide if you think it's worth it.

It took about 25mins because the HD cage being close to the fan makes it a bit fiddly but I used some tweasers to get pull the elastic back through the holes which made it fairly easy.

I made recordings with my MP3 player of booting up, the first without stretch magic and the second with. I held the player right next to the cage with the side panel off.

Before

After

I'm sorry the recording isn't that great, you can tell the difference best towards the end of the recordings. To be honest I noticed the difference even more when starting the computer up as I usually would with it under the desk and when loading programs or browsing files. I've you find the HD noise annoying or are obsessed with silence then I think it's a good mod, plus it's very cheap.

roadie

Post by roadie » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:35 am

I think I might try this in my Aurora, to what did you tie the stretch magic to?

Brodel

Post by Brodel » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:10 am

Hey, you aren't 'alsheron' on the neowin forums are you? I haven't had anyone ask me about this since I did it and now I have two people in the last two days.

I just made it all out of one length and tied a knot in the end, it isn't tied to anything specifically.

roadie

Post by roadie » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:46 am

Nope but the resonance my three hard drives is making is rather annoying. That stretch magic stuff seems to be pretty cheap so it could be an inexpensive fit.

Brodel

Post by Brodel » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:35 am

roadie wrote:Nope but the resonance my three hard drives is making is rather annoying. That stretch magic stuff seems to be pretty cheap so it could be an inexpensive fit.
Yea, it's very cheap so if for some reason it doesn't work for you (not sure why it wouldn't) then it's not like you've wasted money.

The guy on neowin is going to do his tonight so here is the thread if you want to see how his goes too.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=514206

roadie

Post by roadie » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:46 am

I received some stretch magic today and should be able to have a go installing it this evening. Will report back with its effectiveness.

roadie

Post by roadie » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:33 am

Well, I managed to create some stretch magic drive holders in the hard drive bay of my Aurora, which I have to say was one of the most testing things I have ever done. However, it was certainly worth the effort, as all resonance has been banished! The thin aluminium construction and hard mounts for all drives really is a nightmare for silence enthusiasts. Now the only noise from my case comes from the two stock fans at the rear, which seem to have some kind of high pitched, rhythmical whine coming from them. I may replace them with some Noctua fans, or move to a SOLO instead...