Anyone here boot Windows off a USB flash drive?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Brian

Anyone here boot Windows off a USB flash drive?

Post by Brian » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:06 pm

From what I've read, I would expect 10MB/s transfer rate. That's pretty slow. I wonder if it would make using Windows, Firefox, and Office unbearable.

But I can buy a 2GB flash drive for $40 (which is cheaper than internal CF drives), and you'd be hard pressed to beat the power consumption and noise level of a flash drive.

stigweard

Post by stigweard » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:23 pm

It is more costly, but you could get a 2,4, or 8GB sandisk ultra IV, and a firewire reader and get close to 4x the performance you would from a usb flash key. I'm sure there are good internal IDE based cf readers too.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:54 pm

booting windows (atleast anything from the windows 2000 base onwards), from USB is a PITA., as the OS sees it as a removable device. CF needs a very cheap adaptor and it essentially is a hard drive to your system.

10MB/s isn't a very impressive transfer rate; u'd probably get that off any (good-ish) random USB disk/ CF card; if u go looking for performance (and it isn't always much more expensive, up to a point) then u can get up to 40MB/s with the aforementioned cards. 20MB/s area is probably more reasonable if u dont want to spend a fortune. many have read/write speed advertised.. the 123x number for the speed of CF is equal to 150kb/s (the same as 1x in a CDrom). Ars Technica has done a couple of round-ups of USB drives re: speed..

also what u lose in sustrained transfer rate you gain in seek time; so transferring large files will be slower (i guess u won't be doing much of that on a 2gb drive), but accessing lots of small files will be quicker. which OS + programs do a lot.

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:18 am

mp3car has a faq on the subject: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=524050

it's important to recognize that you need to run xp embedded or xp will chew up your limited writes in no time.