First post, mini-review (Scythe), and thanks

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WildstarOct

First post, mini-review (Scythe), and thanks

Post by WildstarOct » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:00 pm

Title says it all...

Was looking for something to tame my loud seeking Raptor 150. I mean, the thing is LOUD! It makes this loud thumping noise while seeking, and is especially annoying when web browsing (even though I moved my temp internet folder over to a quieter drive).

So I browsed this forum, not having discovered it before because my PC's not really designed to be the quiet type.

Anywho, I went with the Scythe Quiet Drive, $34 incl. shipping from Newegg (which coincidently is just about the amount of the rebate I get back from the purchase of my Raptor).

The install is easy, a caveman could do it. The thing is long though, about 1.5" longer than my BenQ DVD burner. So I had to mess around with my case and cables for 30 min. But getting the Raptor into the Scythe and then into the case took less than 10 min.

I was quite surprised about the performance, especially after having read a review or two of this product. The reduction in disk thrashing noise (best described as low frequency "thumping") is amazing. I can barely hear the thing now and it is no longer annoying to browse the web.

Temps are pretty good after install. Loading the drive out in Sandra only amounted to a 3-4 C increase from before install. I'm still below 40 C which is fine by me.

So to summarize:

Product: Scythe Quiet Drive
Price: $34 incl s/h from Newegg
Drive: WD Raptor 150
Install: 10 min from box to case
Noise: Low frequency disk thrashing noise almost completely eliminated (subjective evalutation)
Heat: 3-4 C increase in temps (load)
Other thoughts: Product does what it is designed to do, although it is long (1.5" longer than DVD burner)

Thanks for the great resource this forum turned out to be.

WildstarOct

TheBuzzer

Post by TheBuzzer » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:10 pm

interesting.

too bad it makes hard drive use 5.25 slots.

would be great to get to go with big storage hd with one of this to cover noise even more.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:31 am

Welcome to SPCR!

Denorios

Post by Denorios » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:39 am

Just got one of these from QuietPC to use with my new Samsung T HD501LJ 500GB (which is pretty damn quiet to begin with, even though it hasn't yet gone through the 1-2 week run-in process), and stuck it on foam at the bottom of my case . It's fantastic - Idle is totally inaudible unless I have my head next to the drive, the seeks are so muted that I can't hear them from more than a foot away, and my drive temps have actually dropped 5C. I'd like to say it's on a par with the SmartDrive 2002C, but since I've never owned one, I can't be sure. However, since it's just over half the price (UK), it's seems much better value. :D