Seagate 7200.10 320gb heat issues...

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

panda-R

Seagate 7200.10 320gb heat issues...

Post by panda-R » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:55 am

I've had my drives for a few months now, when I first got it the temps were around 38-41c for both my drives. Weird thing now is that one drive temp has dropped a few degrees hovering around 36C and the other drive shot up to 45-46C. I can't verify that the ambient temp in the room is cooler but most of the other sensors for my computer remain about the same average temps.

So I'm a little worried about the drive that has gone up in temp. Could be a indication for a nearing drive failure? Not only that but the drive randomly does a single "click" sound.

Has anyone had any experienece with these symptoms? If so has anyone dealt with Seagate about warranty exchange on a drive that has not actually failed yet?

Also, i find my seagates too loud at idle for my liking now, anyone have any recommendations for replacement drives? Looking for SATA drives and must be a quick drive still!

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:20 am

Do you have those drives cooled by different fan? Other fan could be failing.
And in case of one fan/no own HD fan have you changed position of cabling during that time?

As for drive's health have you run Seatools?

Seagates have been lagging behind others in noise for couple years. If price isn't above budget WD5000AAKS should fill the bill nicely for quiet and fast high capacity drive.

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:19 pm

ugh!!! solved probem, stupid me.. one of my fans got blocked by a bungie cord which i used to mount it. I assumed it was fully functioning because my fan controller was on.... yah laugh at me now!!! :(

Natronomonas

Post by Natronomonas » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:32 pm

EsaT wrote:Seagates have been lagging behind others in noise for couple years.
Which I have just recently discovered to my chagrin.

I've got 4 x recent WD (300, 320's) and just bought a 320 Seagate, and the thing is LOUD. I only wish I'd seen your comment before buying. I'll be sure to hit the spcr next time, but mainstream drives tend to get less of a look-in at most review sites these days I've noticed...

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:13 am

My 7200.10 runs consistently 5+C hotter than my other drives so I'll be going WD (AAKS) or Samsung next, especially as the 500Gb versions are dropping in price massively here as each day goes by.