Instead of Scythe Quiet Drive?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sgtspiff

Instead of Scythe Quiet Drive?

Post by sgtspiff » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:12 am

Ok wanna buy my new computer today and the scythe quiet drive is out of stock. Will it be just as quiet with something like these instead?

http://www.mcubed-store.com/catalog/pop ... 15&image=0

They're cheaper and in stock.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:44 am

I don't think so. Those brackets look like they only counter the drive's vibration. The rest of the drive will be left in the open. HDD's make a certain noise just being on. The Quiet Drive encloses the whole drive, muffleing the drive's idle noise. Could you possibly order your parts today, and wait until the Quiet drive is back in stock?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:56 am

You'd be better off spending a $1.50 on stretch magic or sewing elastic and suspending your HDD than wasting money on those brackets. Even resting the drive on foam would reduce noise further and not hurt temps any more than those brackets.

The QuietDrive is a good product from what I hear. And would be more useful in quieting the idle whine of an older HDD like angelkiller said. Suspending, or soft-mounting, the drive will reduce the seek noise (vibration) much more than idle whine. The QuietDrive seems not to do as good of a job reducing vibration. Some encase their drives in a Q/D and then rest it on some soft foam in their case.

Hope that helps,

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:41 am

Take a look at this user-review for good enclosures other than the Scythe:

viewtopic.php?t=32509