WD740GD-00FLA1: Should this be as quiet as SPCR review?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mshan

WD740GD-00FLA1: Should this be as quiet as SPCR review?

Post by mshan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:52 pm

Just wondering if this revision of the Raptor is actually as quiet as the one reviewed by SPCR?

And if purchased used, can I reasonably expect many many years of trouble free service if there are currently no bad sectors on it?

Luminair

Re: WD740GD-00FLA1: Should this be as quiet as SPCR review?

Post by Luminair » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:03 pm

mshan wrote:And if purchased used, can I reasonably expect many many years of trouble free service if there are currently no bad sectors on it?
You are on the wrong forum for that. You should be posting on the psychic hotline forum.

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:19 pm

You cannot count operation years on bad sectors. When I had a disk failure the disk seemed being on perfect smart values and no bad sectors or corruption. It just stopped spinning.

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:15 am

Overall with my experience with most WD drives. They're all pretty quiet in terms of seek noise and idle noise. Even my external isn't so bad. They don't vibrate as much either. In comparison to the 400GB Seagate I have exteral, that thing is a huge vacuum cleaner. Very nasty seek noise.

But in the end it all comes down to, "how well can you suspend your drive?" The better you suspension method is the quieter it can be. The quietest obviously being suspended in thin air by magic lol