500 GB laptop drives coming soon (feb + mar)!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

500 GB laptop drives coming soon (feb + mar)!

Post by klankymen » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:03 am

Hello,

I read this about a month ago, but didn't give it much though. Now with most 1TB drives sucking (no comments please, there's a different thread for that) I'm considering these.

First off, the Hitachi 500GB 2.5 drive
Due to hit in February it's a 3 platter 2.5" drive, which means it won't fit into any laptops out there due to its 12.5mm hight. Not a problem for me, as I would use it in a desktop / FS anyway.
One benefit of this one is that (apart from the fact it will hit the market first), is that Hitachi offers an EA (enhanced availability) model, designed for 24-7 use in a server environment.

Also, the Samsung 500GB notebook drive
This one is nice, as it has 2 250GB platters, and is stadard 9.5mm thick, so it will fit any laptop.
It's scheduled to drop next month (march), however I am somewhat skeptical since the F1 series were supposed to be out by june, but didn't drop til december. So expect these by September at the latest :D

-------------------------
I for myself, since I just had a hdd crash on one of my 500gig desktop drives, am considering getting 5 of one of these to put in RAID5, depending on how the pricing will be. I myself am pretty confident, seeing as you can gete 320 gig drives for only 180$ at the moment.

Anyone else interested? This should finally be the solution for the capacity/noise tradeoff. (though unfortunately not yet the price issue)

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:29 pm

I'm quite interested in this, only, I'd probably opt for an external version.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:39 pm

Well looks like the Hitachi is supposed to hit at 400USD, and the 24/7 version even higher, so for the time being 320 might be the way to go.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:26 am

Fujitsu joins the other two

Unfortunately they went the way of the Western Digital GP, and further reduced rotating speed to 4200 rpm, not to mention the fact that it's also a non-standard hight, 12.5mm, which won't fit into laptops.

Also, february came and has almost gone, and the Hitachi isn't in stock anywhere yet. However the prices are listed, and just over 200€ seems alright.