Hitachi 7k200 *CLOINK* noise...

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tbessie

Hitachi 7k200 *CLOINK* noise...

Post by tbessie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:41 am

I have a Hitachi 7k200 160gb drive in the HTPC I'm building. Every so oven it gives a strange sound like a spring being sprung, a kind of a "clunk" combined with a "boing"... *CLOINK*.

Windows doesn't show there being any problems with the drive (no errors), so I wonder what it could be that makes this noise.

Is it associated with drive head parking? I'm wondering because this has happened even during periods of relatively intense disk activity.

- Tim

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:47 am

Dude, stop using the drive immediately. It is on it's way out. The longer you use it the greater your chance of losing data.

Buy a new drive of equal or greater capacity, preferably the same size (if you don't have a spare). Get a boot CD like Hiren's boot CD or similar, with a utility like Norton Ghost, and make a copy of all your data.

Then, take the drive back to the retailer and get it RA'd for a new one.

Then when you get the drive back, turn em into a RAID1 ! :)

mexell

Post by mexell » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:23 am

Full ACK. Get rid of that drive immediately.

DonQ

Holy cow, mine's been doing that for months! (N/T)

Post by DonQ » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:42 pm

No Text.

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:16 pm

theycallmebruce wrote:Dude, stop using the drive immediately. It is on it's way out. The longer you use it the greater your chance of losing data.

Buy a new drive of equal or greater capacity, preferably the same size (if you don't have a spare). Get a boot CD like Hiren's boot CD or similar, with a utility like Norton Ghost, and make a copy of all your data.

Then, take the drive back to the retailer and get it RA'd for a new one.

Then when you get the drive back, turn em into a RAID1 ! :)
Ha! Good idea! :-)

I'm actually going to ghost it onto a backup drive anyway, since it's taken me a long time to get the setup "just so". It's just my system drive, not my data drive (I have a 7k1000 for that), so I'm not too worried. Especially after I ghost it, I'll be pretty safe if it crashes.

I would think it would start getting errors if that was an indication of something wrong, though, wouldn't you?

- Tim

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:42 pm

The sound might be the drive losing power. Happens sometimes when molex connectors are faulty.

Save the data if you need it (if it's the system drive, then at least the registry), but do try a different power connector.

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Matija wrote:The sound might be the drive losing power. Happens sometimes when molex connectors are faulty.

Save the data if you need it (if it's the system drive, then at least the registry), but do try a different power connector.
This one's a SATA drive - do people call those SATA power connections Molex's as well?

- Tim

tbessie

Re: Holy cow, mine's been doing that for months! (N/T)

Post by tbessie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:07 pm

DonQ wrote:No Text.
Same kind of drive?

- Tim

DonQ

Re: Holy cow, mine's been doing that for months! (N/T)

Post by DonQ » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:24 pm

tbessie wrote:
DonQ wrote:No Text.
Same kind of drive?

- Tim

Yeah, don't know what happened...

Anyway, my drive has been making noises that I guessed were due to what I've read as overly aggressive built-in power saving firmware on the drive. These would be the Travelstar 7K200 drives. Their other similar drives, E7K200, don't have the aggressive power saving mode. I tried to get one but could not find one so I got the 7K200. But... reading this made me paranoid and even though I've been hearing these noises for many, many months and have never had a problem otherwise, I'm doing a full system backup right now! I will email Hitachi tech support by the weekend.