[Quieting] a WD raptor 150GB

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mussels

[Quieting] a WD raptor 150GB

Post by Mussels » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:50 pm

Short and to the point: I have a raptor 150GB, and its seek noise is impressively loud. (in a bad way)

I have two cages in mind at the moment: The Nexus Drive-A-Way and the scythe quiet drive.

I know both of those will help the idle noise, and the nexus claims to be ok for 15kRPM drives (the raptor is only a 10Krpm) but i have no idea how they will fare for seek noises.

Does anyone have any experience or reccomendations for such a loud seek noise?

after reading up more here on SPCR, it seems the scythe has better temps.
For a raptor this might be the key element - if i receive no replies within 12 hours or so, i'll be grabbing the scythe.

TBM328

Post by TBM328 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:27 pm

Have you already suspended the Raptor using the elastics that come with the case? I have an Antec Solo with a suspended 74GB Raptor, and the seek noise is rather faint (the same drive hard mounted was VERY loud).

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:58 pm

My vote goes to the Scythe. I have 2 74 Gb Raptors in suspended Scythe enclosures. One of those is a model with the older (read: noisier) style bearing, and these enclosures significantly reduced the seek-noise compared to just plain suspended Raptors. I only have a small amount of airflow over the enclosures (PSU fan only, P180 style), but that is enough to keep drive temps below 40C.

Mussels

Post by Mussels » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:47 am

TBM328 wrote:Have you already suspended the Raptor using the elastics that come with the case? I have an Antec Solo with a suspended 74GB Raptor, and the seek noise is rather faint (the same drive hard mounted was VERY loud).
Its being used in a different system, so unfortunately i cant use the elastic. I've ran it on a foam mat and that didnt help too much, so its more of a noise that a cage will deal with.

teejay - thanks for that, i'll just grab the scythe. should be here within 24 hours.

Strid

Post by Strid » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:08 am

I had the same problem as you. Loud seek noise from my Raptor150. The idle noise is actually rather okay. I put it in a Scythe Quiet Drive, which is now resting on a piece of foam, fixed with a bungee chord. The temperature actually went down two degrees celcius. And the seek noise is far better now. It's practically inaudible with the ambient noise from my 5 v 120 mm fans and the PSU with it's 140 mm Yate Loon.

It was worth all the money for me!