VelociRaptor And Making it quiet

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

falcon26

VelociRaptor And Making it quiet

Post by falcon26 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:28 pm

I'm probably going to but the VelociRaptor 300Gb tomorrow at Fry's. Now my question is, I want to use it in the same bottom bay on my P180B case where normal hard drives go, the 3.5 inch ones. Now if I take it out of the casing what would I use to hold it? And without that casing doesn't it get hot as hell?

Thanks

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:29 am

Suspend it. If you don't want to do a DIY suspension job, try to find a NoVibes 2.5". Or a Scythe Quiet Drive if you don't want to suspend it.

VRs don't get that hot even without the Noise Amplifier drive sled thing, there's a thread on it somewhere here in the past month or so.

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:11 am

Probably my thread.

My current solution (haven't been able to find a Novibes 2.5 in Australia) - I simply unscrewed the VR from the icepack, and left it sitting in it loose. Without being rigidly attached, the whine mine was producing is gone, and the temps stay under 30C most of the time.

Given the 300GB has gone from $350 to $500 in Australia (thanks crappy exchange rates! my PC gained value), I'm seriously considering eBaying it and getting an SSD. But I can't bring myself to do it :)

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:58 pm

Ok got the raptor

Its dam fast. Its very very quiet without the metal housing. Almost as quiet as the samsung, but no quite. With the housing its loud not too loud but no good enough to be considered silentpc :-) Their is a nice high pitched whine with the casing on, but its not their with it off. Oh and temp wise with the housing idle temp was like 25, without was like 38 so it does get hotter without it. I went ahead and ordered the Novibes 2.5 mounting kit from frozenpc. This drive is a keeper :-) So to sum it up

1, With Metal Housing, Cool but a tad loud
2. Without Housing, Hot but very quiet

Edit: That HD tune score was with AAM set to the max. Without AAM on the access time was slightly lower like 7.7

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Is this for a 2.5 raptor?
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/hdd/0 ... etail.html

And will it fit into the 3.5 drive bay of the Antec P180B?

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:01 pm

No I don't know what to get.

1. The Novibes Mounting Kit
2. Scythe 2.5 Hard Drive Enclosure

Which gets rid of that annoying high pitched whine? The novibes is easy to find, but the scythe I can't find that anywhere in stock in the usa..

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi, yes that is 2.5" Quiet Drive and yes it fits the v'raptor but... I believe the v'raptor is 12.5mm thick vs "normal" laptop drive at 9mm thick.
I think there are threads from people putting the two together but you can't completely clost the halves together or you have to leave some of the internal bits out. I believe it can be made to work and it does help the noise and provide a direct fit the silicon gromets in the P180.
Hope this helps, Seb

aztec

Post by aztec » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:27 pm

Did you get the HLFS or the GLFS?

I'm wondering if the different casing has any effects on the whine people have been reporting.

Yikes...I didn't realize temps jumped that much without the casing. :shock:

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:45 pm

Mine is the HLFS. And I can tell you that high pitched whine is really annoying. It goes away if you take it out of the casing. But for now I'll use the casing until I get the no vibes on tuesday. Although I'm thinking now I should have gotten the scythe quiet hard drive....

Mech0z

Post by Mech0z » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:17 am

Just a semi warning, if you buy the Scythe Quite Drive 2.5" then I just want to say that I have yet not been able to mount this in my case as no screws will fit in it and therefore I can only have it laying on the bottem of my case on sound damping materials, and this is a good solution for sound but it looks like crap.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:47 am

falcon26, you can buy the 2.5" SQD from PerformancePCs, I got mine two months ago from them:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... 6e477c19a3
I planned to get a VR too, and the SQD was intended for it, but I read in this section that some VRs, like yours, are plagued by the whine.
So for now it sits in a box... BTW, to fit the VR in the 2.5" SQD you have to use only one thermal pad of the two provided.

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:54 am

Ok, but can you mount the sqd in the 3.5 inch drive bay of the P180B? Or do the screws not work?

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Wow bad news. Maybe I was deaf last night, but today when I have the raptor outside the icepack and just sitting in my case on foam, that dam whine noise is still their. No quite as loud but still annoying enough to make me want to return the raptor :-( darn it....

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:37 pm

falcon26 wrote:Wow bad news. Maybe I was deaf last night, but today when I have the raptor outside the icepack and just sitting in my case on foam, that dam whine noise is still their. No quite as loud but still annoying enough to make me want to return the raptor :-( darn it....
This is where AcoustiPack really helped with my two Veliciraptors. The biggest difference came from adding AccoustiPack to my P182's front door. I have the two drives suspended in the P182's upper HD cage, and that cage is also lined with AccoustiPack.

When I open the front door, I can definitely hear the whine noise from the drives. Closing the door drastically changes things - the computer sounds like it is turned off.

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:07 am

What about warranty? Is it possible to remove the VRaptor casing without void the warranty? The WD1500HLFS is very interesting for my P150 :roll:

Mech0z

Post by Mech0z » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:25 pm

_MarcoM_ wrote:What about warranty? Is it possible to remove the VRaptor casing without void the warranty? The WD1500HLFS is very interesting for my P150 :roll:
Pretty sure you void warrenty by removing the icepack, thats why I bought the version without^^

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:08 am

Mech0z wrote:
_MarcoM_ wrote:What about warranty? Is it possible to remove the VRaptor casing without void the warranty? The WD1500HLFS is very interesting for my P150 :roll:
Pretty sure you void warrenty by removing the icepack, thats why I bought the version without^^
The version without is not available here :(
Anyway i want to know if the screws have warranty-seals :wink:

Alternatively, is it possible to mute the disc by inserting it in an envelope? Like the Scythe one, for example.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:23 am

_MarcoM_ wrote:Anyway i want to know if the screws have warranty-seals :wink:
Yes, they do (well one screw has a black sticker over it).
Alternatively, is it possible to mute the disc by inserting it in an envelope? Like the Scythe one, for example.
I seriously doubt it. Some folks here can hear their VR in a 2.5" Scythe Quiet Drive even with the IcePack removed. With it still in place... I'd be seriously surprised if you could quiet it in a 3.5" enclosure. Besides if you do that you can't suspend it!

You're just going to have to bite the bullet and void your warranty and trust to luck that nothing goes wrong. If you're really worried about it failing, the old rule of thumb is that if a drive is going to fail it'll likely do it in the first few weeks, so you could always hook it up with the IcePack still on and run it hard for a few weeks.

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 am

You know I think this thread will SCARE some folks.

I just got a VelociRaptor to replace a WD SE-16. Replaced it in the same fabric suspension bay in Antec Solo case. I did not remove the IcePak.

Noise to me is overall LESS in use than the SE-16 it replaces. Maybe a tiny bit of the high-pitched whine escapes the case. But then again the SE-16 had to me much more seek noises so it balances.

Just get one and try it for yourself IMO. If you have a decent case it will sound fine. Yes sitting out on the table during the clone operation it sounds like a mosquito in the room but that's not how it's used every day.

Performance is MUCH better. Old drive the desktop would drag quite badly when doing DivX encodes. Not I hardly can tell the difference between whether a background job is running or not.

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:27 am

Thank you all for the help and suggestions mates, i'll try to suspend the icepacked version, if it is too loud i will remove the ice-noise-maker-thing-from-outer-space :lol:

vick1000

Post by vick1000 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:45 am

I can confirm, the 150 GB HLFS in the Icepack, is quiter than either my 320AAKS or 500AAKS, with AAM on anyway.

With AAM on full, random seeks are still slightly audible, and test at 8ms.

This is simply mounted in the bottom of a P182 with the standard silicon gromets.