Please help with my VelociRaptor...FAST

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Immersion

Please help with my VelociRaptor...FAST

Post by Immersion » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:30 pm

Hello, I bought the VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS. It was incredibly loud in the Icepak, so I really hope it will be drastic change without the icepack. I will try to make it fit into the Scythe Quiet Drive 2.5.

However...I am trying to remove the ICEPACK, it is very frustrating, I did damage ONE of the screws, it is only one that is damaged all the others are ok.... How do I remove this screw ?

what is your advice ???

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:43 am

Your business shouldn't be any more urgent to us than any others, no matter what it is. It's very rude to ask for FAST help.

There are threads on this forum about removing the frame which probably have all the details you need.

Screw and driver 101:

- Use a correct type of screwdriver for your type of screw, they need to match exactly.

- Use a correct size of screwdriver for your size of screw, they need to match exactly.

- Push down hard, and turn counterclockwise to unscrew.

If you have already damaged the screw head, and you don't know how what to do, then I really recommend you to take your drive to a friend who knows what to do, you will probably only make the situation worse yourself.

aztec

Post by aztec » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:43 am

TORX!

Too late it seems. :?

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:49 am

lm wrote:Your business shouldn't be any more urgent to us than any others, no matter what it is. It's very rude to ask for FAST help.

There are threads on this forum about removing the frame which probably have all the details you need.

Screw and driver 101:

- Use a correct type of screwdriver for your type of screw, they need to match exactly.

- Use a correct size of screwdriver for your size of screw, they need to match exactly.

- Push down hard, and turn counterclockwise to unscrew.

If you have already damaged the screw head, and you don't know how what to do, then I really recommend you to take your drive to a friend who knows what to do, you will probably only make the situation worse yourself.
Yes, I am sorry, but I am building a new computer so it is kind urgent, I am very eager to get it running as fast as possible, this delays everything right now.

Yes I use the correct TORX, but this screws are VERY soft and easy to damage it almost like they where made to not unscrew... I guess I was not careful enough when I did unscrew on of the screws, I did not hold it 100% straight I think...

My father is handy when it comes to this stuff, unless you have any advice, I will ask him.
I will get out that screw for sure! :)

But I know regret I did bought the version without Icepack, it was the same price, but it was out of stock where I bought the computer.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:30 am

Chewing up a Torx screw is really, really hard to do. Being hard to chew up is the entire point of those screws after all.

There are countless ways of removing damaged screws. The easiest for a Torx screw is to use a bit one size too large and hammer it in (might be a bit risky to hammer a hard drive though), widening the hole. You can then unscrew it normally. Alternatively, my favourite method for removing the most stubborn screws is to use a small cutting disc to cut a groove in the top of the screw and then use a normal flat screwdriver to remove it.

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 am

Mr Evil wrote:Chewing up a Torx screw is really, really hard to do. Being hard to chew up is the entire point of those screws after all.

There are countless ways of removing damaged screws. The easiest for a Torx screw is to use a bit one size too large and hammer it in, widening the hole. You can then unscrew it normally. Alternatively, my favourite method for removing the most stubborn screws is to use a small cutting disc to cut a groove in the top of the screw and then use a normal flat screwdriver to remove it.
I get more and more frustrated and I begin to lose my temper soon..
Anyway, I did manage to saw away the head of the screw... I thought then I would be able to pull the HDD up...it didn't...

I have now tried to destroy the sata connection module in front of the HDD with one cutting pliers... the plastic is kind of hard..and I am afraid that I will destroy the SATA connector on the Harddrive...
When it is gone I hope to be able to get out the disc of the ICEPACK

I think I saw somewhere that a hairdryer might help to make the plastic more soft..I might try that...

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:49 am

Immersion wrote:...I did manage to saw away the head of the screw...
You sawed the head off? I think I will go with lm now and say you should stop.

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:27 am

Mr Evil wrote:
Immersion wrote:...I did manage to saw away the head of the screw...
You sawed the head off? I think I will go with lm now and say you should stop.
to saw the head of...was not a bad idea...if I only can get lose the sata adapter at the front...I think I will be able to get the HDD out of the Icepack.

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:50 am

Did finally succeed to remove the Sata Adapter... I am trying to wiggle the hdd on all side.. I can manage to get it to tilt upside a little bit... I am not sure how the HDD looks on the backside...to put an screwdriver under there and bend it out upside..would make the hdd loose for sure...but I am not sure if it consider safe, or if there is any circuit board on the backside of the hdd.

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:05 pm

seems like that yeah..makes things even more difficult.

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:14 pm

Mission complete!!!

I hope the HDD survive I will need to make a surface scan to see no damage was done etc...

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:34 pm

I hope your customer doesn't mind. You will be giving him or her a warranty, right? (If it's not for you.)

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:41 pm

vertigo wrote:I hope your customer doesn't mind. You will be giving him or her a warranty, right? (If it's not for you.)
Well, this drive is useless in the IcePack it sounds loud I can gurantee you!

However I did really regret that I did not buy the version WITHOUT the icepack... but none of the stores I did order from had this in stock. plus this version was slightly cheaper... I guess the non-icepack version is more popular...right now..

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Do us all a favour and never try any house electrical wiring on your own!!!

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:42 pm

Come on, guys.. Learning by doing. I've broken a few things in the past from being a bit stupid, but I've also managed to learn and to do some creative modding that does work really well.

Better to try and fail and possibly break something (although preferable things less expensive than a VelociRaptor) than to never try at all.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Learning by doing is good, but being realistic about one's skill set is also good. Plan, act, review. If you find making a plan difficult, perhaps you don't know that much about what you are trying to do.

It looks like the VelociRaptor was bought without having planned how to remove the heatsink and it became a mess up. Or, it was found to be too loud and removing the heatsink was rushed into.
Last edited by vertigo on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:53 pm

Alright, all works fine 8)

I am very surprised the HDD temp for the 150gb VelociRaptor
is only 32C, but the 120mm fans runs on full though, I will see how much the temperature will rise when I lower the fanspeed... However, I will need as much margins as possible, cause in the summer it will be warmer in the room..Hopefully it will stay below 50C.

I can also confirm as many others have confirmed already...that the high pitch platter noise is gone, when using the Scythe silent drive 2.5.

The seek/read noise is still audioble, but I have this computer on my desk right now, when I put on the floor it will sounds less for sure...

But I am still surprised how much it does sound...I did expect the most quite drive in the world, atleast it did look like that on the papper in the SPCR reivew. Just a warning to you all :)
Anyway, the sound is acceptable now... I I really enjoy the low accesstimes on the HDD, it is quite noticble when you use it as systemddisk....

At last..feel free to recommend me a good hdd program..that will deep scan all sectors etc..I want to make sure all my hdds are 100% .

Thanks...

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:55 pm

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Windows can scan the disk.

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:09 pm

vertigo wrote:Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Windows can scan the disk.
Yeah..ok, I will look, I am totally new to Vista...

By the way I am in total euphoria now, I have upgraded from P4 Northwood 2.2ghz to Core i7 920, it is sooo fast!
I am not used to this I have been using the old computer for 8 years, not sure how I did surrive that :D

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:42 pm

fyi.
torx bits have half sizes. not sure about the velocipartor size exaclty..

fwiw.
after subjecting the drive to so much vibration, (sawing off a screw) i would run a lot of bench marks and more than just a windows scan. as well as check the smart info.

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:55 pm

xan_user wrote:fyi.
torx bits have half sizes. not sure about the velocipartor size exaclty..

fwiw.
after subjecting the drive to so much vibration, (sawing off a screw) i would run a lot of bench marks and more than just a windows scan. as well as check the smart info.
Yes you are right, what programs would you recommend for that ???

By the way, I did run Checkdisk in Windows Vista in dos mode...
It did seem to be no problems, since the screen did switch so fast when the scan was complete I did not have enough time to read the results. Is there any chance that I can view the results in Vista somewhere in logs etc ?

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:29 am

If the drive fails, I think it will fail very soon or not at all. I've had three nasty experiences with hard drives, and in all three cases they either failed within a few weeks or showed no ill effect.

One time, I lifted the monitor and the table fell over. The PC was copying over the network at the time. That Fujitsu 1GB drive was completely dead, it never worked again. Nothing else was damaged though.

With another drive (a 3GB Quantum), it used to get stuck suddenly, making an odd ticking sound, which would take a long time to come right. It failed within a few weeks.

Then at a lan party, with a 40GB Maxtor, I was playing a game and someone opened the fridge door which slammed into the table. The PC almost fell over but just managed to stay up. I scanned the drive immediately after that, it suddenly had 1 bad sector in the middle of the drive. I used that drive for many years after that, and it is still working today in my parents' machine (they don't need space). It has shown no other ill effects (no more bad sectors in particular).

So basically, don't panic. If it works, it should keep working.

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:11 am

vertigo wrote:If the drive fails, I think it will fail very soon or not at all. I've had three nasty experiences with hard drives, and in all three cases they either failed within a few weeks or showed no ill effect.

One time, I lifted the monitor and the table fell over. The PC was copying over the network at the time. That Fujitsu 1GB drive was completely dead, it never worked again. Nothing else was damaged though.

With another drive (a 3GB Quantum), it used to get stuck suddenly, making an odd ticking sound, which would take a long time to come right. It failed within a few weeks.

Then at a lan party, with a 40GB Maxtor, I was playing a game and someone opened the fridge door which slammed into the table. The PC almost fell over but just managed to stay up. I scanned the drive immediately after that, it suddenly had 1 bad sector in the middle of the drive. I used that drive for many years after that, and it is still working today in my parents' machine (they don't need space). It has shown no other ill effects (no more bad sectors in particular).

So basically, don't panic. If it works, it should keep working.
Personally I have been quite lucky in the past with hdds...
No harddisk crashses etc...

However, the hdd is more sensitive towards vibrations etc when in use...
Also this VR I got is a 1 platter, I think these are more robust then normal hdds.

I have still not found the chdsk logfile in windows.
But I have heard, that if you have an usb stick installed during chdsk, the log file will be saved to the usb root...I will try that next.

Immersion

Post by Immersion » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Ok guys, I did some benchmarks and surface test on the VR.
Not sure how well it does perform comparing to the others VR's
I guess spikes like these are normal ?
I did however try to close as many programs as possible during testing...

For fun..I did also compare with my Samsung F1 spinpoint 1TB HDD