WD Scorpio Black vs. Scorpio Blue vs. Caviar Green Power

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ramses
Friend of SPCR

WD Scorpio Black vs. Scorpio Blue vs. Caviar Green Power

Post by Ramses » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:44 pm

Howdy! It's been a while since I've posted here, but I felt I could contribute my experience with 3 somewhat popular Western Digital hard drives. :)

Story:
I was running a Dell Inspiron 1501 notebook with a stock Hitachi 5400rpm hard drive. It was almost inaudible and not much vibration could be felt through the casing, but it was also very slow ...2007 slow. Still, with CrystalCPUID I managed to keep the computer's fan from revving up under most circumstances.

As 2.5" HDDs are lowering in price, I figured I'd jump on a deal for a 7200rpm 320GB Western Digital Scorpio Black, the biggest in it's line with free fall sensor to boot. It was much faster, but also introduced a fair bit of vibration and -- the horror! -- a permanent *shhhssssss* sound. :evil: And the notebook's fan kept on annoyingly starting up when then the PC was completely idle and fresh from a boot-up. I had read rapidly on NewEgg a majority of reports of "It's so quiet I can't hear it!" and "No vibration whatsoever". They probably all forgot to mention "...when installed in my url=http://gizmodo.com/5015525/the-gas+powe ... asculinity]gas-powered blender![/url]". Very few were mentioning realistic vibration, heat, and noise levels. True, I should have done more research, but even SPCR reviews were scarce then.

So I sprung up for its cheaper WB Scorpio Blue 320GB cousin, sans free-fall sensor. It's a better experience, at the cost of in-between performance. This HD is running 8C cooler than it's speedier counterpart, has minimal vibration and the noise is no longer an offense. Throughput is obviously reduced, but still speedy enough. It is a quite acceptable drive, quiet while not silent, more so for SPCR-type ears. The notebook's fan still starts up at regular intervals however. :cry:

My main PC runs on a WD Caviar Green 1TB unit, and while louder than a Scorpio Blue and more vibration than any of the Scorpios, it has almost the same performance as the Scorpio Black ...only bigger!

Scorpio Black will now find its way to my quiet desktop PC ...until I end up selling both Scorpios and acquiring 2 Samsung-made SSDs when the prices drop a little bit more and cache-enabled models become more popular (end of summer, I guess).

Results: (inside notebook)
2.5" 80GB Stock Hitachi HTS541680J9S:
+ almost inaudible
+ almost no vibration
+ cool-ish
- slow (5400rpm, 33.9 MB/s read average, 19.1ms access time)

2.5" 320GB WD Scorpio Black WD3200BJKT:
- definitely audible
- vibrates too much to my liking
- hot (50C)
+ fast (7200rpm, 64.9 MB/s read average, 14.5ms access time)

2.5" 320GB WD Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVT:
+ quiet
+ almost no vibration
- warm (41C)
+ medium-fast (5400rpm, 49.3 MB/s read average, 16.8ms access time)

3.5" 1TD WD Caviar Green WD10EACS:
+ medium-fast (5400rpm, 63.4 MB/s read average, 14.9ms access time)
(other aspects irrelevant when compared to 2.5" units.)

HD Tune screenshots:

Hitachi:

Scorpio Black:

Scorpio Blue:

Caviar Green:

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 am

Handy info, thanks!

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:45 am

Hear hear a 5400RPM 3.5" drive beats the s**t out of a 7200RPM 2.5" drive! Thank you MUCH for the information!

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:53 pm

LodeHacker wrote:Hear hear a 5400RPM 3.5" drive beats the s**t out of a 7200RPM 2.5" drive! Thank you MUCH for the information!
I re-read Ramses' data a few times and don't see it - who beat who? It looks like the 7200rpm drive won in all performance comparisons - except noise, of course. Am I missing something?

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Jay_S wrote:Am I missing something?
The Socrpio Black won ONLY with a very small marginal difference! Never take that in account, both drives ( Scorpio Black and Caviar Green ) are equally fast in real use. However for this the Caviar Green is much quieter with less vibrations and NO high pitched sound. I see that as a great plus and so the Caviar Green is the better HDD.

I mean, OMFGZ the Scorpio Black is A SINGLE MB PER SECOND FASTEEEEERRR!!!! Also for the price you can buy a single 320GB Scorpio Black, add a lousy 10€ and you get MASSIVE 1TB space! If that isn't enough of a plus to say the Green is better I don't know how I can convince you.

It obviously is only a very small marginal difference in speed, don't take the numbers that seriously mate. Ok maybe if you warez movies you save a total of 2 seconds of a big download. Is it really that much? 2 seconds mate! 2 goddamn seconds! :?

Calculate yourself mate: 700MB / 63 and 700MB / 64 OMFGZ

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:53 am

Something wrong here, my WD Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT runs much faster than your HDTune benchmark shows, and as for temp it runs 30C idle/35 load. See my thread below, I'll try and post my bench soon.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:54 am

Yes, the WD10EACS still gets good performance while being quiet, but it doesn't fit into a laptop, now does it? ;)

I've got the WD3200BEKT in my EEE PC simply because I'm impatient, and the drive is no louder than the system fan that's running all the time. For a performance notebook drive, it's hard to beat.

If you're going for $/GB and noise, the WD10EACS wins hands down. Heck, see if you can find the WD10EAVS drive somewhere (same drive, but with 8MB cache) if you're just looking for cheap data storage. My two were each $20 cheaper than the 16 and 32MB variants.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:08 am

Nick Geraedts wrote:but it doesn't fit into a laptop, now does it? ;)
Nick Nick Nick... Oh my dear Nick: http://www.applefritter.com/node/10859
OWNED! :lol:

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:43 am

LodeHacker wrote:Nick Nick Nick... Oh my dear Nick: http://www.applefritter.com/node/10859
OWNED! :lol:
That's on an open laptop.... doesn't count. :P

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:08 am

Given Ramses data above, and...
LodeHacker wrote:The Socrpio Black won ONLY with a very small marginal difference!
LodeHacker wrote:I mean, OMFGZ the Scorpio Black is A SINGLE MB PER SECOND FASTEEEEERRR!!!!
... what exactly did you mean by:
LodeHacker wrote:a 5400RPM 3.5" drive beats the s**t out of a 7200RPM 2.5" drive!
Corrected quote:
LodeHacker wrote:However for this the Caviar Green is much quieter with less vibrations and NO high pitched sound. I see that as a great plus and so the Caviar Green is the better HDD for me.
LodeHacker wrote:Also for the price you can buy a single 320GB Scorpio Black, add a lousy 10€ and you get MASSIVE 1TB space! If that isn't enough of a plus to say the Green is better I don't know how I can convince you.
My question was not about how you subjectively value the two drives. I questioned your claim that the GP beat the sh1t our of the 7200rpm Scorpio.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that there's probably ZERO noticeable performance difference. I was looking for clarification on your post.

Or do you always post in hyperbole?