Quietest non-SSD drive on the market?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:53 am

QuietOC wrote: Why? The Hitachi P7K500s are quieter than any of the AAKS drives, and the entire line from 250GB to 500GB is available for $50 or less.
Because the AAKS has been reviewed by SPCR and therefore is a known quantity to me.
Care to share your data source? Must be pretty good :)

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:21 pm

I have owned both!

thepwner

Post by thepwner » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:49 pm

That sounds like a darn good reason to me!

thepwner

Post by thepwner » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Goodness I just don't know, I think I might just go with an Antec P180 because I don't think I can go wrong with a purchase like that, it's a sure thing, getting a new hard drive, I don't know.

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:20 am

thepwner wrote:Goodness I just don't know, I think I might just go with an Antec P180 because I don't think I can go wrong with a purchase like that, it's a sure thing, getting a new hard drive, I don't know.
Whoops :) Slow down there!
If you have an old, loud hard drive, any of the new HDDs we have been talking about will be much better, especially if suspended. We are just arguing over the finer details.

And if your old HDD is very noisy, a P180 will not silence it. I tried that once, too :)

thepwner

Post by thepwner » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:57 am

Well supposedly the P180 has great sound dampening properties. And what I'm saying is that I know I want a P180, I am not torn between 2 cases, I am not certain which hard drive I want to buy, so if I want to purchase something right now, the P180 would be the better bet because I am very sure of it being a good purchase, I could mess up with my hard drive purchase though.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:14 pm

thepwner wrote:Well supposedly the P180 has great sound dampening properties. And what I'm saying is that I know I want a P180, I am not torn between 2 cases, I am not certain which hard drive I want to buy, so if I want to purchase something right now, the P180 would be the better bet because I am very sure of it being a good purchase, I could mess up with my hard drive purchase though.
HDD is something that should be purchased when it's needed, not ahead of time. This is a product with a refresh of around 6 months, so you know that something better/cheaper is always right around the corner. Plus, even if something perfect just came out, it is nice to wait a few weeks just to make sure no major bugs have popped up. Cases have a refresh more like every 2 years, so there is definitely no reason to wait if you have one you like currently available.

thepwner

Post by thepwner » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:18 am

jessekopelman wrote:
thepwner wrote:Well supposedly the P180 has great sound dampening properties. And what I'm saying is that I know I want a P180, I am not torn between 2 cases, I am not certain which hard drive I want to buy, so if I want to purchase something right now, the P180 would be the better bet because I am very sure of it being a good purchase, I could mess up with my hard drive purchase though.
HDD is something that should be purchased when it's needed, not ahead of time. This is a product with a refresh of around 6 months, so you know that something better/cheaper is always right around the corner. Plus, even if something perfect just came out, it is nice to wait a few weeks just to make sure no major bugs have popped up. Cases have a refresh more like every 2 years, so there is definitely no reason to wait if you have one you like currently available.
Are you referring to cases or to hard drives?

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:44 am

thepwner wrote:
jessekopelman wrote:
Are you referring to cases or to hard drives?
Cases. The clause you highlighted is part of a sentence where "Cases" is the explicit subject . . .

thepwner

Post by thepwner » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 pm

OK I was just making sure, so you're saying I should go ahead and buy the Antec P180?

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:05 am

thepwner wrote:OK I was just making sure, so you're saying I should go ahead and buy the Antec P180?
Yes. I'm agreeing with your premise that there is no reason to hold off on buying the case if you want it. There is very little chance that you could get a better case or price by waiting a few months, while with an HDD there is an excellent chance you could get a better drive or price by waiting a few months.

thepwner

Post by thepwner » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:21 am

OK, just purchased the P180 from eBay! Now I need to decide a hard drive for my birthday, which is coming up soon!