Samsung F1 500GB bit of a perfomance duff?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jordan

Samsung F1 500GB bit of a perfomance duff?

Post by Jordan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:45 am

I got a Samsung F1 500GB a little while back and installed Vista 64-bit for the first time. I just thought Vista was slow/laggy i.e. when I open folders it can take a second or two to actually show the contents of the folder.

I was looking at PC Pro website and they did a HD labs test back in April. I never thought about the fact the 500GB would use 2x250GB platters vs the 2x320GB platters of the 640GB, or that it had reduced cache when buying it.

Anyway, the 500GB fares much worse in their performance tests and I'm wondering whether this is what's causing my Vista lag issues?

500GB F1 review
640GB F1 review
750GB F1 review

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:02 am

I think you need a very very fast drive to not see a delay in Vista displaying folder contents. Something like a Velociraptor or a good SSD. This is just one of the tasks that Vista is not very good at. On the other hand, thanks to the ability to search from the Start Menu, you may be able to get away with opening folders a lot less often.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:25 am

I'm really organised with my folder structure so using search seems like a step backwards. Would also be useless for searching for photos when the still have their DSC*** number, for example.

SSDs are still to expensive for me and while I'm tempted by the VR I'm worried about the high pitched whine that I've experienced with every laptop drive I've experimented with that wasn't a Samsung :?

If I knew someone else with a VR I'd love to try it out but it's a bit of a gamble in my eyes.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:42 am

A search here doesn't really open up issues with whining, but it can vary from VelociRaptor to VelociRaptor...

yensteel

Post by yensteel » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:45 pm

You can try optimizing Vista first. I don't use vista, So I don't have any software or guides to recommend.