Samsung F3 series - 500GB per platter - 7200RPM - 500GB/1TB

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:31 pm

No, but Windows is the most popular OS being used.

You miss the point, Hitachi can and does make a utility that works in Vista 64-bit using a floppy in what looks like DOS mode. Samsung and WD make utilities that do not work in my system. Point is, if Hitachi can do it, why can't Samsung or WD?

I think it is shameful that both Samsung and WD are so behind the times with their utilities. As of this writing, neither will support Windows 7 64-bit.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:23 pm

JVM wrote:I think it is shameful that both Samsung and WD are so behind the times with their utilities. As of this writing, neither will support Windows 7 64-bit.
Can't you figure out how to boot into DOS? Your complaint makes no sense to me.

Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:29 pm

I'm confused. If you have to reboot from a floppy into DOS for the Hitachi utility, how is that different from the one from Samsung? Samsung's version does come with it's own basic OS, doesn't it? DOS or a stripped down Linux?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:13 pm

Michael Sandstrom wrote:
JVM wrote:I think it is shameful that both Samsung and WD are so behind the times with their utilities. As of this writing, neither will support Windows 7 64-bit.
I will post this again: "Apparently the utility is not compatible with Vista. I could not boot from the disk as instructed with the command A:\> ES Tool.exe So I tried Start/accessories/run and typed the command in and received an error message the program is not compatible--same problem with Hutil utility."

I called WD and they confirmed their utility will not work in a 64-bit system--I spoke to technical support.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:21 pm

Otter wrote:I'm confused. If you have to reboot from a floppy into DOS for the Hitachi utility, how is that different from the one from Samsung? Samsung's version does come with it's own basic OS, doesn't it? DOS or a stripped down Linux?
I don't know. All I know is the Hitachi Feature Tool loaded onto a floppy works and the others, Samsung and WD, do not work. Call it lazy engineering or whatever...

WD technical support stated their utility does not work in a 64-bit system. If you look on WD website, you will see Vista 32-bit support but no 64-bit support for their Data Lifeguard utility--same with Samsung as for OS support.

Anyone need further confirmation, call WD or Samsung--I didn't bother calling Samsung, but I did call WD and spoke with technical support.

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:14 pm

JVM wrote:No, but Windows is the most popular OS being used.

You miss the point, Hitachi can and does make a utility that works in Vista 64-bit using a floppy in what looks like DOS mode. Samsung and WD make utilities that do not work in my system. Point is, if Hitachi can do it, why can't Samsung or WD?

I think it is shameful that both Samsung and WD are so behind the times with their utilities. As of this writing, neither will support Windows 7 64-bit.
The Hitachi utility doesn't do what the tools of Seagate, Western Digital and Samsung do. WD and Samsung have tools that DO work in your system whether you have Vista 64 Bit, Vista 32 bit, Windows 95 or Windows 3.1. It doesn't matter what the operating system is. You don't even need a floppy as they provide pre configured low level programs for CD's and or Memory Sticks. ESTOOL is fully compatible with your system and provide many simple options for your convenience.

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:18 pm

JVM wrote:
Michael Sandstrom wrote:
I will post this again: "Apparently the utility is not compatible with Vista. I could not boot from the disk as instructed with the command A:\> ES Tool.exe So I tried Start/accessories/run and typed the command in and received an error message the program is not compatible--same problem with Hutil utility."

I called WD and they confirmed their utility will not work in a 64-bit system--I spoke to technical support.
WD provides a fully capable program that will run on any system. The OS is irrelevant.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Have you tried to run it Vista Ultimate 64-bit? So you are saying even WD technical support that had me hold on while he checked and said it would not work is wrong. Now that is very interesting.

Well, all I can say is I followed the instructions provided to install via a floppy and it did not work for me.

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:42 pm

JVM wrote:Have you tried to run it Vista Ultimate 64-bit? So you are saying even WD technical support that had me hold on while he checked and said it would not work is wrong. Now that is very interesting.

Well, all I can say is I followed the instructions provided to install via a floppy and it did not work for me.
Again the operating system is irrelevant. Vista 32, Vista 64, Mac OSX, Linux; it doesn't matter what the operating system is. All the manufacturers provide a fully functional tool that you can boot from floppy, CD or a memory stick with ease. It's the most effective and safest method.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:09 pm

Have you looked at the websites? Do you see where WD specifically states Vista 32-bit? Do you wonder why it says Vista 32-bit and not both 32 and 64-bit? As I said, I followed the instructions for installing via a floppy and it did not work.

You are making assumptions and I tried to install as instructed. Why do you think it did not work when I followed the instructions? You put the utility on a floppy and boot from the floppy--that is the instruction. Then you put in the command at the in DOS prompt. I set Boot from Floppy and guess what, at the prompt screen it did not work. End of story.

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:19 pm

JVM wrote:Have you looked at the websites? Do you see where WD specifically states Vista 32-bit? Do you wonder why it says Vista 32-bit and not both 32 and 64-bit? As I said, I followed the instructions for installing via a floppy and it did not work.

You are making assumptions and I tried to install as instructed. Why do you think it did not work when I followed the instructions? You put the utility on a floppy and boot from the floppy--that is the instruction. Then you put in the command at the in DOS prompt. I set Boot from Floppy and guess what, at the prompt screen it did not work. End of story.
Because as you previously stated you have yet to boot from a floppy. You tried to run it from a DOS prompt in windows. ESTOOL works perfectly fine with ANY operating system. It does not matter what is on the HD. It does not matter what the operating system is. It does not matter what the operating system is. It does not matter what... and so on...

If you did actually boot from a floppy and it didn't work I may be able to help find your issue if you explain further. Remember it must be in IDE mode and not AHCI.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:32 pm

I already told you I set Boot from Floppy and it did not work.

Let us take this step by step:

1. Downloaded ES Tool.exe for floppy

2. Extracted ES Tool.exe to formatted floppy and left floppy in computer--also verified the ES Tool.exe is on floppy.

3. Restarted computer and set BIOS to Boot from Floppy.

4. Restarted and at DOS screen it says: Remove disks or other media
Press any key to restart.

5. I cannot enter the command for DOS stated in instructions. Pressing any key repeats the message above. I have to remove the floppy and reboot computer and it goes to desktop.

End of story Part 2.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 pm

I better add this: I was not in RAID or AHCI mode.

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Now we're getting somewhere. You didn't make a bootable floppy. That's why you aren't getting anywhere. You can:

1. make an older MS type boot disk (not the best but it will work - download one such as Windows 98 SE), put the utility on it, boot and run it from the prompt. http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

2. Use WD's tool as it formats the floppy with a bootable instruction set. Depending on space you may fit ESTOOL on as well and can use either depending on the drive you want to test.

3. Download something like the ultimate boot cd. It includes most utilities (though it has the older HDUTIL on it but you can update it to ESTOOL if you wish.

4. Skip the old floppy/CD all together and just make a bootable memory stick. Then you can put whatever HD program you like from all manufacturers.
JVM wrote:I already told you I set Boot from Floppy and it did not work.

2. Extracted ES Tool.exe to formatted floppy and left floppy in computer--also verified the ES Tool.exe is on floppy.

5. I cannot enter the command for DOS stated in instructions. Pressing any key repeats the message above. I have to remove the floppy and reboot computer and it goes to desktop.

End of story Part 2.

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:12 am

sweatypickle wrote:Now we're getting somewhere. You didn't make a bootable floppy. That's why you aren't getting anywhere.
I haven't read the whole thread and I've possibly missed something but HUTILS and ESTOOL can be downloaded as an *.iso file and burned on a cd:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... _drive.zip

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... _Tool.html

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:58 am

sweatypickle wrote:Now we're getting somewhere. You didn't make a bootable floppy. That's why you aren't getting anywhere. You can:

1. make an older MS type boot disk (not the best but it will work - download one such as Windows 98 SE), put the utility on it, boot and run it from the prompt. http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

2. Use WD's tool as it formats the floppy with a bootable instruction set. Depending on space you may fit ESTOOL on as well and can use either depending on the drive you want to test.

3. Download something like the ultimate boot cd. It includes most utilities (though it has the older HDUTIL on it but you can update it to ESTOOL if you wish.

4. Skip the old floppy/CD all together and just make a bootable memory stick. Then you can put whatever HD program you like from all manufacturers.

End of story Part 2.
I did make a MS-DOS Start Up disk and tried that and got a bad command--variable--forgot all the exact details. But, yes, I tried that and it did not work. I didn't mention that in the other post because as I said, I followed their instructions, and their instructions do not state make a...

I did that on my own trying to get the damn thing to work.

WD technical support stated quite clearly their Data Lifeguard utility does not work in 64-bit Vista--nor will it work in 64-bit Windows 7. I was told they may have support for 64-bit in the near future.

Hey, why all this crap trying to get a simple utility to work? My Hitachi Feature Tool works in DOS without any issues--I just boot from floppy and bingo! there it is.

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:54 am

You don't seem to understand. You are getting an error before you even try to run any program. The programs work fine. The whole point of booting to a DOS type environment is to bypass any OS. Again... it doesn't matter what OS you have on; 64 bit, 32 bit, 157869.343 bit. I'm running Windows 7 64bit. Both utilities work perfectly fine for me since it doesn't matter what I'm running. Data lifeguard for windows may not support 64bit but the windows version isn't fully featured nor near as safe anyhow. So we can continue to try and solve your issue as to why you can't get a boot disk working or not.

JVM wrote:
sweatypickle wrote:Now we're getting somewhere. You didn't make a bootable floppy. That's why you aren't getting anywhere. You can:

End of story Part 2.
I did make a MS-DOS Start Up disk and tried that and got a bad command--variable--forgot all the exact details. But, yes, I tried that and it did not work. I didn't mention that in the other post because as I said, I followed their instructions, and their instructions do not state make a...

I did that on my own trying to get the damn thing to work.

WD technical support stated quite clearly their Data Lifeguard utility does not work in 64-bit Vista--nor will it work in 64-bit Windows 7. I was told they may have support for 64-bit in the near future.

Hey, why all this crap trying to get a simple utility to work? My Hitachi Feature Tool works in DOS without any issues--I just boot from floppy and bingo! there it is.
Last edited by sweatypickle on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:29 am

1. The hutil utility does not support the F3 model.

2. I know because I got into DOS, ran the hutil utility, and could not perform any function inside the utility because it said: Error Hutil doesn't support this model.

So now we can dispense with Hutil utility.

Next up we have the ES Tool utility.

1. Got into DOS by using my MS DOS Start-Up disk, took out Start-Up disk and put in the floppy with ES Tool.

2. I followed instructions by Samsung:

Execute the program by typing A:ï¼¼> ES Tool.exe in DOS prompt.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... _Tool.html

3. That does not work because of bad command error.

4. I tried without spaces: ESTOOL.EXE and it worked.

5. Got inside ES Tool and tried to perform functions and after doing one function I received Out of interrupt stacks and system was frozen--could not do anything. So I rebooted and tried again with same result. I did manage to check AAM, but moving cursor with up-down arrows does cause that error. I could try again but I am kind of tired of this by now, perhaps later. I don't know if it's because Samsung hasn't updated their website, but the F3 model is not included among drives supported for ES Tool

Why the hell should I have all these issues running a utility for Samsung? My Hitachi Feature Tool does pretty much all that the Samsung utility does and it works without all that hassle encountered with Samsung's utility.

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:04 am

OK we're making progress. All the issues so far have been user error. HUTIL is the older version of ESTOOL so it shouldn't work with newer drives. If you want we can continue to try and solve your issues for WD or Samsung's programs.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:49 am

sweatypickle wrote:OK we're making progress. All the issues so far have been user error. HUTIL is the older version of ESTOOL so it shouldn't work with newer drives. If you want we can continue to try and solve your issues for WD or Samsung's programs.
Listen, I solved this issue by myself--the problem was Samsung's instructions. The instruction for DOS prompt is wrong!

I told you I got into the program and it acted a bit weird, not to mention the system freezing. I will try it again later, but now I am going to have lunch.

The bottom line here for me is Samsung should learn what Hitachi does to make their utility boot from the floppy--and WD as well. I don't have a WD disk, so I don't really care about their tool. I can say what their technical support team told me and that is the program will not run in 64-bit Windows.

"All the issues so far have been user error."

WRONG! See above and that was posted in my last message.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:29 am

Well, I ran Es Tool again and it did work for a bit and then gave that Out of interrupts! message and the damn thing froze--again!

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:40 am

JVM wrote:Well, I ran Es Tool again and it did work for a bit and then gave that Out of interrupts! message and the damn thing froze--again!
hmm. how did you make your boot disk?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:54 am

sweatypickle wrote:
JVM wrote:Well, I ran Es Tool again and it did work for a bit and then gave that Out of interrupts! message and the damn thing froze--again!
Right-clicking on the "A" drive in Vista (Create MS-DOS Start Up disk)--why??? Why would that be of any concern to you when the problem is not getting ES Tool to start--the problem is Out of interrupts! message that freezes the program after it runs as I stated above. I can do some tasks but it does eventually give me that message.

I was just checking out the various options, using up/down arrows and bingo!

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:26 am

Look clearly you aren't very technologically literate as we started off with you complaining that the tool "don't work with my OS", couldn't run a simple command line and yet here you are running the program. The utility works and I'm trying to find the cause of your issue. A common cause of this is the type of boot disk used when not on a primary chipset IDE controller as most motherboards in the past 2 years use an alternate chip for this function. Could it be a problem with the software and your setup? Perhaps but if you don't want to try and solve the problem than so be it.
JVM wrote:
sweatypickle wrote:
Right-clicking on the "A" drive in Vista (Create MS-DOS Start Up disk)--why??? Why would that be of any concern to you when the problem is not getting ES Tool to start--the problem is Out of interrupts! message that freezes the program after it runs as I stated above. I can do some tasks but it does eventually give me that message.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:46 pm

sweatypickle wrote:Look clearly you aren't very technologically literate as we started off with you complaining that the tool "don't work with my OS", couldn't run a simple command line and yet here you are running the program. The utility works and I'm trying to find the cause of your issue. A common cause of this is the type of boot disk used when not on a primary chipset IDE controller as most motherboards in the past 2 years use an alternate chip for this function. Could it be a problem with the software and your setup? Perhaps but if you don't want to try and solve the problem than so be it.
JVM wrote:
sweatypickle wrote: hmm. how did you make your boot disk?

First, I don't know why you blame me for what Samsung instructed. I told you I made that MS-DOS startup disk before you got into the conversation--and there was a bad command. The bad command comes from what Samsung stated to use--got it?

So, for you to come in and start this literate thing is rather rude and wrong.

If anything, I think you need a lesson in reading comprehension. I more than once explained about the command--even posted a link to Samsung's website where it shows what I said. And you still keep on with my not giving the correct command. Why don't you point the finger at Samsung and say they are not all that literate? After all, it is their command instruction that is wrong!

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:18 pm

JVM wrote:
sweatypickle wrote:Look clearly you aren't very technologically literate as we started off with you complaining that the tool "don't work with my OS", couldn't run a simple command line and yet here you are running the program. The utility works and I'm trying to find the cause of your issue. A common cause of this is the type of boot disk used when not on a primary chipset IDE controller as most motherboards in the past 2 years use an alternate chip for this function. Could it be a problem with the software and your setup? Perhaps but if you don't want to try and solve the problem than so be it.
JVM wrote: Right-clicking on the "A" drive in Vista (Create MS-DOS Start Up disk)--why??? Why would that be of any concern to you when the problem is not getting ES Tool to start--the problem is Out of interrupts! message that freezes the program after it runs as I stated above. I can do some tasks but it does eventually give me that message.

First, I don't know why you blame me for what Samsung instructed. I told you I made that MS-DOS startup disk before you got into the conversation--and there was a bad command. The bad command comes from what Samsung stated to use--got it?

So, for you to come in and start this literate thing is rather rude and wrong.

If anything, I think you need a lesson in reading comprehension. I more than once explained about the command--even posted a link to Samsung's website where it shows what I said. And you still keep on with my not giving the correct command. Why don't you point the finger at Samsung and say they are not all that literate? After all, it is their command instruction that is wrong!
No the riff raff jovial basis is that you didn't know enough to type a file name to execute a file; not what is on a website. That, along with understanding the basis of the utility per OS and it became clear the height of your literacy and attitude. This is beyond the scope as you seem to rather blame others for something that is your issue instead of trying to solve said problem when others offer to help.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:07 pm

Yup, don't blame Samsung for giving the incorrect command to execute the program, blame the operator. Now that makes a lot of sense.

Listen, I do not need your help, which thus far has been zero to me. Kindly stay away from "trying" to help me in the future. Thanks!

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:43 pm

JVM wrote:Yup, don't blame Samsung for giving the incorrect command to execute the program, blame the operator. Now that makes a lot of sense.

Listen, I do not need your help, which thus far has been zero to me. Kindly stay away from "trying" to help me in the future. Thanks!
I have no problem allowing you to stay faltering to your issues of using a fully functioning program. But yes you are welcome for the aiding offer to date!

Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:18 pm

Take some deep breaths and relax, friends. We've got nothing to argue about here. It's a busy time of year, and computer errors can make anyone crazy. I think we can get ESTools working, though.

JVM, I agree Samsung's instructions could use some work. And I don't understand why their tech would tell you that their utilities won't run under Vista but not bother to explain that you're supposed to run them from DOS.

Samsung's site ( http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... _Tool.html ) gives the following instructions:

Execution

* ES Tool is a DOS based utility so it is needed to prepare a bootable 1.44-MB diskette in advance.
* Download ES Tool.exe on the diskette prepared from the internet.
* Reboot the system by above diskette.
* Execute the program by typing A:ï¼¼> ES Tool.exe in DOS prompt.
* Please Back-up your data before executing this program.
They do in fact have an extraneous space in the file name. The second instruction is rather ambiguous. If the author's first language were English, I'd wonder if he meant that you were supposed to download DOS from some unnamed site rather than rely on Windows to make a DOS disk for you. But it's probably just a poor translation. However, if you had downloaded DOS, I think you might have avoided the problem you are having.

The "Out of interrupt stacks" error is probably related to the DOS configuration. Vista may have included drivers in config.sys or autoexec.bat to support all your hardware. But DOS is an ancient OS, and though its programmers may have dreamed of the hardware we have today, in the sober light of day, they didn't make any provision for such science fictional gadgets in their OS. (More than 640 kilobytes of RAM?! Surely no one will ever have that much memory on a simple home or office computer. :lol: ) Hence, DOS is easily overwhelmed by modern hadware, and I suspect all you need to do is trim some of the fat.

Open up autoexec.bat and config.sys on your boot floppy and delete any lines referring your sound card, NIC, DVD drive, etc. Then try again. I think you could probably delete everything in those files, but it's been years since I've thought about DOS, hence I won't swear to it.

Or you could try downloading a clean version of DOS from bootdisk.com, allbootdisks.com, etc. (I can't recommend any particular site because it's been ages since I needed a DOS disk.)

If neither of these work, perhaps Pickle or I can help you free up enough resources for the disk utility to run properly.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:04 am

Otter,

Thanks for the offering, but since I plan on going to SSD, I don't think it is worth the trouble with Samsung's utility. I can run my Hitachi Feature Tool in DOS without any problem whatsoever, as well as Hitachi's Drive Fitness utility.

As far as I am concerned, Samsung needs to correct the instructions for using their utility including that extra space(s)--looks like there might also be a space between arrow and E as well as space between S and T.

As it is now, I can do one task with the utility, but run into that interrupts! message when trying to do more, such as using the arrow keys to go up and down. I have checked my AAM and even experimented with trying to change it and no issues, but using the up and down arrows too much :) seems to cause an issue.

But, like I said, SSD is coming soon and Samsung will take a back seat until next year when Samsung leaves for good. On the other hand, I may give one Samsung to my son and the other to my daughter and be done with Samsung.