WD1500BLFS = quiet? Would it benefit from a SQD 2.5"?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tackle

WD1500BLFS = quiet? Would it benefit from a SQD 2.5"?

Post by tackle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:52 am

I never understood the velociraptor ordeal; the ones that come as 2.5" drives with no ICE-pack, are they as quiet as the ones you remove the pack from yourself?

Here's one I'm thinking about buying:
http://www.misco.se/product/product.asp ... onID=39837

Is it really quiet, like the first ones with the pack removed?

I'll be using it in a Antec SOLO case. As you probably know this already has a harddrive suspension system, and I plan on using that.

Would the drive benefit from being put in a Scythe Quiet Drive for 2.5" drives, and then suspended in the chassis?
Would that be harmful for the drive in terms of heat?

kater

Post by kater » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:13 pm

I guess after you remove the icething the drives are just the same, so I'd expect no difference in performance and noise etc.
I put my VR, after removing the icething, in SQD (the bottom one, upper is Hitachi 100GB). As you probably know you either have to leave out one of the aluminum shells and/or thermal pads, or as I did - put everything in and use zipties, w/o screws. The drive runs v quiet, almost silent, never heats up, courtesy of it running cool by itself and the 92mm fan below it. Well, maybe the fan doesn't really help as the VR rests on a shelf (my P150 is the early model, has the stupid, breaking rubber bands) so there's no direct airflow coolig the SQD with VR, but even on hot summer days the drive barely exceeds 40 C.
So I'd say - SQD does help, as the drive itself is audible, and the temps remain v safe.

Excuse the dust and messy cables ;)