Can't get Slim Drive to open and shut in SGO6 mini itx case

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thegoldenstrand

Can't get Slim Drive to open and shut in SGO6 mini itx case

Post by thegoldenstrand » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi,

I am on my second try to install Sony Optiarc Slim Sata Drive model number AD-7590S.

Per case instructions I secured optical drive at four corners two toward back of case and two toward the front of case.

Drive pops open about 3/4ths of an inch instead of all the way and can't close on its own.

This is my first experience with slim drives for a pc.. Any ideas or links to how drive should be installed would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

N-K

Post by N-K » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Sounds like it's working exactly as it should.
The drive tray is spring loaded and it just pops a bit out when you press the button.
You have to close it yourself.

It's the same kind of drive that is used in most notebooks.

h2three

Post by h2three » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:34 pm

I had this problem with the SG05 as well. The drive works as it should when outside of the case, but not in.

Even though the drive is aligned properly (i.e. not touching the face plate), when ejecting, it pops out an inch and gets stuck - requiring me to forcefully tug on the tray. The same happens vice-versa, requiring force to load the tray back in. My solution was to have the disc drive sticking out a bit (not flush with the case), as well as loosening one of the screws (I believe its the front right when looking at the drive).

*As per N-K's post, the drive should only pop out a few inches and requires you to push the tray in (exactly like a laptop). However, my problem was that the tray didn't slide smoothly and got stuck at a certain point.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:52 am

Slim drives are very sensitive to being mounted too firmly, which causes their frame to flex and the tray to operate poorly. Try loosening the mounting screws just a little bit.

This is why I hate cases with plenty of room for a full-size drive (like the SG-06) that elect to accomodate only a slim drive. Also, slim drives cost more, so that's basically an extra $50-100 that I consider to be a part of the cost of that case.

In fact, the SG-06 gets extra retard points. The reason it only fits a slim drive is so that it can mount a 120mm front fan, but then that front fan goes on to be significantly blocked by the 3.5" HDD tray inside. Pointless.

Trav1s

Post by Trav1s » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:59 am

I had a similar problem when I mounted a slim drive in a K45. The right front screw was too long and touched the track. I ended up replacing it with a short screw from a dead laptop sitting in the closet.

thegoldenstrand

Thanks for the input

Post by thegoldenstrand » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Drive gets stuck all the time both opening and shutting it.. think I will lose the right screw and loosen the others slightly and report back.. seems to hit case top on way out and get stuck and gets stuck on way back in... I am thinking I should have bought a slot slim drive. Silverstone's case would have been much better if simply made a half inch taller and maybe a half inch wider... this would give a little extra room over the cpu and allow for full sized regular dvd drive.

I have pretty much destroyed case for anyone else ... cut out area in front to fit longer graphics card and cut out bottom of power supply to fit larger fan and... only simple no brainer mode was adding fan to far right.. I added 92 mm.. could have just made small cut to fit fan wire... but I got cutting and now no resistence for air... quiet and dropped cpu temp by at least 5C and MCP by a good 12-15C... used nexus fan with air blowing out.. only have located one power supply for case with two pci-e connectors rated at 400W by silentx but not sure what fits and does not fit.. and it cost another $90

I am really starting to not like slim dvd drives! Only other problem is I can't get on-line with windows vista 64 ... will post on other thread for help with this.. Thanks again guys!

Mike

:D