Maxtor 6B160P0 help please

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chico1st

Maxtor 6B160P0 help please

Post by chico1st » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:05 am

Hi there someone just gave me a Maxtor 6B160P0 and I cant find any info on it.
Even knowing the number of platters would be nice.

The only spec on the case that seems useful is
5V 740 mA
12V 1280mA

does that imply anything?

Thanks Im addicted to things being quiet and the reviews and info here are way better than my subjective tests.

whiic

Post by whiic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:28 pm

It's a 160GB variant of Maxtor DiamondMax 10 with 8MB cache.

DM10 series has 100GB platters and 7200rpm spinrate. 160GB variant has thus 2 platters.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/7903/1

I don't have any personal experience with DM10. I do have some with DiamondMax +9 / MaXLine +II but even that's with 250GB variants (83GB x 3 platters). Hot as hell (on par with 5-platter Hitachis!). Quite noisy and tonal. Funny though that my MaXLine +II is still alive despite running several years in a fanless enclosure (I expect it must have reached 70 degs during summers) where as DiamondMax 16 / MaXLine II (notice the lack of "+", thus 5400rpm instead of 7200rpm) both died in little more than a year of use in same fanless enclosures. But the 5400rpm drive had ball-bearings where as 7200rpm were upgraded to fluid bearings...

I also have a 1-platter DM+9. That's decently quiet (for 7200rpm drive that is). A bit whine in it's idle noise. Not quite as quiet or pleasant sounding as my P80 (1-platter Samsung). Nowadays 7200rpm HDD have become much quieter, 3-platter Samsungs being as quiet as those old 1-platter Samsungs.

3-platter Ecogreen << 3-platter F-series Spinpoint = 1-platter P80 Spinpoint < 1-platter DM9 << 3-platter DM9
...and your 2-platter DM10 resides somewhere between 1-platter DM9 and 3-platter DM9...

...take my word: it's noisy.

The only positive thing I've noticed with DM9 series of Maxtors (probably applies to DM10 as well) is the effectiveness of AAM implementation. Enable AAM and seeks are slowed from 13...14 ms to 20+ ms. Usually enabling AAM adds about 2 ms to seek time but Maxtor actually slows it down by 7...8 ms. You can't even hear it seeking!

Though, if I were sarcastic, and believe you I am, I would point out that it's probably because the idle noise is like that of a jet engine and it's capable of drowning quite a bit of noise. AAM is effective anyway... not just because it became quiet enough to be drowned by idle noise but because the default seek noise level is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. It's like running a car engine without a muffler. Fix that... running a engine without any exhaust manifold.