I'm looking for a quiet Bluray burner

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ozkar

I'm looking for a quiet Bluray burner

Post by Ozkar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:39 am

I noticed that Newegg has a Lite-on bluray burner for $112. This drive has:

"ABS system reduces vibration and noise ensuring swift operation during data transfer."

I was about to buy a LG Bluray Burner for $80, but I wanted to see if any of you have any experience with the Lite-on drive with ABS system.

Also, the Lite-on drive has an 8mb cache vs. a 2mb cache for the LG drive. Is this something I should consider as well?

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Re: I'm looking for a quiet Bluray burner

Post by Reachable » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:53 pm

I don't have experience with this model, but Lite-On drives have, or at least had, a reputation for being unusually noisy. The one Lite-On drive I did own was indeed noisy. So, a word of caution. That being said, though, the sins of the fathers need not necessarily be visited upon the sons.

fractal

Re: I'm looking for a quiet Bluray burner

Post by fractal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:40 am

I have three LG's. One writer and two readers. None are "quiet". But, all are quieter than any lite-on I have ever owned. Anecdotal comment: I will have to look and see if I even have any lite-on's left as every one I have ever owned has died within two years. All of the NEC's I was buying before I started buying lite-on's are still going strong as are the LG's I started buying after getting disgusted with lite-on.