SSD + data drive question

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rekonn
Friend of SPCR

SSD + data drive question

Post by Rekonn » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:58 pm

I'm in the process of building a new pc (currently interrupted by the P67 mobo situation). I'm going to have an SSD, most likely a Crucial C300, for OS and programs. I'd like to also get a regular drive for data files. Is there a way to make sure it only turns on when needed? I don't want to negate the quiet of the SSD with constant idle noise when I'm only infrequently accessing the data files. I'll be running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

fumino

Re: SSD + data drive question

Post by fumino » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:14 pm

windows power options> turn off hard disk after~minutes

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:03 pm

as fumino said.

But, you'll probably want to move a lot of temp/scratch/cache files off the SSD and onto the HDD - which depending on what you use your PC for, will mean your HDD stays awake most of the time anyway.

mkk

Post by mkk » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:49 am

Be sure to get one of the more quiet mechanical drives like the latest 5400 RPM WD or Samsung models for storage, so that the difference in noise won't be too great when it's on. Some programs access other drives even when they shouldn't and such situations can be quite annoying with a noisier drive. The first experience running a system off an SSD with all other drives asleep can inspire joy-joy feelings. :)

Modern SSD's like the C300 can handle temp/swap/scratch wear just fine. Just avoid filling them up.