Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NetTechie

Modded Zalman 7000 vrs SP97?

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:04 am

If you do this:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11827

and this:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10314

mod to the zalman, how does it compare in terms of SILENCE to the SP97 with a Panaflo or Evercool Aluminum? (can you mount the alu evercools on SP97's?).

What is the best setup for silence? I notice with the SP97 you can't really decouple the fan. Would I be better off with a Zalman?

The cooler is going to be used on an oc'd 2600+ Mobile IQYHA/MPMW cpu installed on an Abit NF7-S 2.0 or AN7 (still deciding). I do understand that the Zalman requires a clip mod to fit on the Abit boards. That's sorta irrelevant to my choice. I am interested in if it is the most silent solution out there.

What do you suggest?

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:25 am

The SP97 has better performance, but Zalman's heatsink is more economical.

I use a Zalman 7000A-AlCu on a 2500+ overclocked to 2 GHz (200 x 10, 1.675 Volts). I can keep the fan at the lowest setting and get around 45 degrees C at idle.

With this in mind, I think that the Zalman will perform well enough for you. It won't give you the *best* cooling performance, but it will be sufficient, and the noise levels are very low, too.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:56 am

Without price being a factor, which is better for silence? It seems to me the SP97 has some silencing problems just from the fact that the fan mounts directly on the copper. There doesn't seem to be any good way to decouple it and make it dead silent like you can with a Zalman... or am I wrong?

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 am

I have both the SK97 and the 7000A-Cu. I used a Zalman 92mm fan on the SK97, same CPU, same case, so you could say I can make a comparison between the two coppers.

Personally I think the 7000Cu cools better. Only slightly. You could even attribute it to measurement error; but I got consistantly lower scores (1-2 C) with the Zalman. I ran both on a Pally 2000, both fans at 1400 rpm.

Really, the difference in cooling power is negligible. What isn't is that the SK97 requires proper airflow in the case whereas the Zalman is better in a low-flow environment.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:32 pm

Thanks, that's good to know. How are they for the silence factor? Zalman cools better w/less airflow, so I guess it would be more silent?

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:34 pm

How many times will you ask the same f**king question. Read the reccomended section and search the forums ffs. There is so much good information here and you just add clutter by asking the same question in different threads.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:41 pm

tay wrote:How many times will you ask the same f**king question. Read the reccomended section and search the forums ffs. There is so much good information here and you just add clutter by asking the same question in different threads.
I would like to point out that most of this information pertains to the stock fan and not using the sorbathane decouple method mentioned. So therefore it really doesn't answer my question since people say "fan clicks sorta" etc etc. which would not apply to it if it's been modded.

prof99

Post by prof99 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:16 pm

You have to remember though that most of the fan noise is caused by the motor of the fan, and not by how it is mounted. Doing that isolation mount would help, but that clicking would most likely still be there. I have a 7000Cu and it does have a slight click, but I have to strain to hear it with my ear next to the fan (though that may be because of other loud components). I'm sure that it's nothing some case dampening won't cure.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:52 pm

The two mods I listed include modding the fan to be a different fan, the evercool aluminum, and decoupling it. So therefore clicking etc is not relevent in terms of comparing it to the sp97... I guess nobody on this thread went to the links.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:26 pm

NetTechie wrote:The two mods I listed include modding the fan to be a different fan, the evercool aluminum, and decoupling it. So therefore clicking etc is not relevent in terms of comparing it to the sp97... I guess nobody on this thread went to the links.
Ironic. Now how about you go to the links and read the article that MikeC wrote on the SP97 :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

If you use the same fan on both neither will be louder will it? If you arent sure which performs better the review will clear that up wont it :?: :?:

The sp97 can be decoupled with some thought.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:09 pm

tay wrote:The sp97 can be decoupled with some thought.
Any topics devoted to this? If my questions were all answered, I'd not have asked. :shock:

*edit*

I might add the article to me read that the Zalman was the best of them, if it were not for a junky fan. You made a comment as if I had not read up or used a search to answer this. I've not found anything that difinitely says one way or the other. At this point they seem to be about the same, except the SP97 is heavy, poses a greater risk to the cpu when moving, and provides purhaps better cooling with more potential for noise. Zalman seems better. I asked just to see if anyone had compared the zalman modded as I am planning to do to a SP97. By the looks noone has. SP97 = more performance, at higher sound cost and waight. Zalman provides more silent cooling, but perhaps not as good cooling. I don't know... that's what I started this topic for.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:53 am

I have been seeing more and more new zalman 7000 click even at low speeds

that may be something to consider as it is a pain to change out the fan

~RaNDoM

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:55 am

NetTechie wrote:
tay wrote:The sp97 can be decoupled with some thought.
Any topics devoted to this? If my questions were all answered, I'd not have asked. :shock:

*edit*

I might add the article to me read that the Zalman was the best of them, if it were not for a junky fan. You made a comment as if I had not read up or used a search to answer this. I've not found anything that difinitely says one way or the other. At this point they seem to be about the same, except the SP97 is heavy, poses a greater risk to the cpu when moving, and provides purhaps better cooling with more potential for noise. Zalman seems better. I asked just to see if anyone had compared the zalman modded as I am planning to do to a SP97. By the looks noone has. SP97 = more performance, at higher sound cost and waight. Zalman provides more silent cooling, but perhaps not as good cooling. I don't know... that's what I started this topic for.
Several of your above questions would be answered in the article if you bothered reading it. There are several discussions about your fan choice (evercool) in the forums. If you'd read the SPCR article you would know which would be a greater risk to your CPU.

I dont mean to start flaming on these threads, but really RTFA!!!!!!!

http://silentpcreview.com/article132-page1.html

One thing to keep in mind is that SPCR tested with a 80mm panaflo on the SP97. Edward Ng's latest cpu cooling article for the Hyper6 indicates that the SP97 performs much better with a 92mm fan like the zalman has.

Search the forums for ideas on isolating the fan on sp97. Stretchmagic, rtv silicone etc could be used.

Again everything you ask has been covered before. Youre simply too lazy/incompetent to search for anything. Just like the nforce audio information i had linked for you in another thread.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:01 am

tay wrote:Youre simply too lazy/incompetent to search for anything. Just like the nforce audio information i had linked for you in another thread.
Umm, honestly I didn't find that soundstorm info. That link really helped me. I am not just lazy, sometimes I don't know what to search for... as in "directron sticks" was the term I hadn't figured to search on another thread.

It'd be nice if you gave a person a chance man... rather than assuming. I did read the ENTIRE review of the SP97 about three times through... after that I decided to post. If you read MY posts carefully, you would see the question I am asking is not answered by those articles exactly. The reviewed fan was not modified.

*edit*
tay wrote:How many times will you ask the same f**king question. Read the reccomended section and search the forums ffs. There is so much good information here and you just add clutter by asking the same question in different threads.
I might ask... how much clutter are you adding by flaming me? Your not in this thread to help that I can see.

Xman

Post by Xman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:01 am

And to anybody why that in a head will not come an idea simply to suspend 12 sm silent Nexus fan on having blown and that and other radiator having removed with Zalman 7000 his noisy clicking fan in general!

What then radiator SP97or Zalman 7000 ALCu will be more effective 12 sm fan 1000 rpm Nexus real silent fan?

Xman

Post by Xman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:03 am

At me now 12 sm fan it is simply suspended for thin postings for lattice PSU does not issue any noise and vibration!

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:36 am

Xman wrote:At me now 12 sm fan it is simply suspended for thin postings for lattice PSU does not issue any noise and vibration!
Teehee I think you suspended your nexus 12cm fan on your 7000A? Since your english is not so great, pictures would be nice as I havent seen before.

getting back to nettechie :

The linked review clearly states that the SP97 is mounted more securely thanks to a back plate yet you say that "poses risk to cpu when moving".

Both coolers perform similarly, get the one that suits you better. Id guess the zalman if you dont move your case around much and if you insist on an aluminum evercool.

Xman

Post by Xman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:51 am

Is not present at me there is no 7000 SP97 therefore I and ask what it will be more effective at 12 fan?

I have Coolermaster HAC V81 heatsink (fan removed)

wim

Post by wim » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:07 am

@Xman: what the... :?: you seem to be using english words but not actually speaking english.

what's 12 sm? are you saying why not use a 12 cm fan suspended over a decoupled zalman 7000? i would wager a 1000 rpm nexus 12 cm fan will not stir much air through the zalman heatsink. the radial fin design of the zalman is great because the 92 mm fan actually sits right in the middle there and almost all the airflow is used effectively. you just can't do the same with a 12 cm fan cause you can't fit it in the middle.

@tay:
why get so aggressive? sometimes it is very tough to find the information you want by searching the forums. and i don't think any one person has actually done a direct comparison between a fanswapped 7000 and that SP97 (this was the question). what you're telling him is that the information is all there, scattered in the reviews and the forums, one can piece it all together and figure out an answer with a bit of thought. this may be true, but you don't have to be such an @$$hole about it..

@NetTechie:
i would guess the reason why nobody appears tried both yet is because they are both good solutions. by that i mean it's possible to get each down to a noise level so that your super tornado PSU or your suspended barracuda IV becomes the noise floor. if this is true then who is going to spend more $ just to compare the two. after all, we are almost all home users here. (if somebody has tried both, please correct me!)

Xman

Post by Xman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:31 am

wim

12 sm -120 mm metric system, Difficultly guess? ( sm - in russian sorry :))
http://www.siliconacoustics.com/nexus-1 ... e-fan.html

this fan suspended on a thin wire, wire suspended on a lattice PSU

Yes but Zalman 7000 heatsink all will consist of thin edges that prevents to blow simply in it a weak flow of air? Zalman page say what summary Dissipation Area - 3170 cm2

What at Sp97 Dissipation Area is not known?

At me a smaller heatsink HAC-V81 and that copes overcloked CPU (standart fan removed)
http://www.radiativenz.com/reviews/cool ... dex3.shtml

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:00 am

NetTechie,

The SP97 definitely works A LOT better with a 92mm fan. The Zalman I used on it clicked VERY loud, comparatively the 7000 fan click is MUCH subdued. The SP97 also had greater air noise. With a swapped fan you'd probably get a very quiet Zalman 7000 but the SP97 definitely is mounted a lot more securely.

It's really difficult to choose. Personally if I had a really quiet 92mm fan with good airflow, I'd go with the SK97 and avoid the modding work, but that looks like an oxymoron, so I'd go with a modded Zalman to get more quiet. Performancewise they are both so good that a few degrees shouldn't be much of a problem.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:18 pm

burcakb wrote:NetTechie,

The SP97 definitely works A LOT better with a 92mm fan. The Zalman I used on it clicked VERY loud, comparatively the 7000 fan click is MUCH subdued. The SP97 also had greater air noise. With a swapped fan you'd probably get a very quiet Zalman 7000 but the SP97 definitely is mounted a lot more securely.

It's really difficult to choose. Personally if I had a really quiet 92mm fan with good airflow, I'd go with the SK97 and avoid the modding work, but that looks like an oxymoron, so I'd go with a modded Zalman to get more quiet. Performancewise they are both so good that a few degrees shouldn't be much of a problem.
Thanks a lot for you input. Very helpful :)

bomba

Post by bomba » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:37 pm

I think you're taking this all too seriously, are you ever going to actually purchase HW? Are you ever going to run out of questions? Sorry, had to get that off my chest!

Anyway, in regards to CPU HSF, if you are still going to go w/ a Barton Mobile, I think either the Thermalright SP97 or Zalman 7000 will be fine, especially if you undervolt. Key to the Z7000 is to run the fan @ 4v or less, via resistor, speedfan, fan controller or whatever. Go with the cheaper solution. Heck, with an undervolted Barton, a cheap quiet HSF like a Speeze Whisperock could probaly be made inaudible.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:42 pm

bomba wrote:I think you're taking this all too seriously, are you ever going to actually purchase HW? Are you ever going to run out of questions? Sorry, had to get that off my chest!
:lol: Actually, I purchased the cpu yesterday, I get it tomorrow... I better decide quick. I'm actually going to be overclocking tho. 2600M oc'd for gaming.