Difference between 3 versions of Zalman flower?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

may_hem1

Difference between 3 versions of Zalman flower?

Post by may_hem1 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:17 pm

Hi, I've pretty much figured out all the parts I want for my new quiet PC and the final touch is to buy a Zalman flower cooler for my Barton 2500+.

On inspecting several PC stores I found that there are 3 models listed:
1. CNPS7000-ALCU
2. CNPS7000A-ALCU
3. CNPS7000B-ALCU

I remember reading in this forum that the first version (CNPS7000-ALCU without the "A" or "B") doesn't work with Barton chips, so these are irrelevant to me.

QuietPC.com is selling the "A" version (CNPS7000A-ALCU) which appears to be what I need.

So what is the "B" version?

As an example, see this Web site:
http://www.pcsilent.de/de_gruppe_zalman_cpu_kuehler.asp
You can see that they sell the "A" version for 31 Euros, and the "B" version for 42 Euros. A significant price difference, so they must be different products and not just a spelling mistake in the product code.

So I checked the Zalman site:
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/co ... p?code=005
and they sell the "A" version and the "CNPS7000-ALCU" version, but not the "B" version.

Another question for you: some sites show the CNPS7000A-ALCU for sale with the Zalman fan speed controller in a package. A couple of other sites offer the fan controller as an extra optional purchase. A couple of other sites say that it comes with thermal grease. So is this CNPS7000A-ALCU being sold in different packages with different accessories?

Finally, I'm considering buying the CNPS7000-ALCU from KustomPCs.co.uk as they appear to be the cheapest (including VAT & delivery). Any thoughts on whether I should buy from them or another company?

Thanks for your help,

May :wink:

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:50 pm

DON'T DO THAT!!!!

The "A" version adds compatibility for Socket A processors, which yours is. They all come with the Zalman fan speed controller and thermal grease AFAIK.

I have no idea what the "B" version adds, but if you can find someone who reads Korean, get them to translate this page.

wim

Post by wim » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:45 pm

i can't read korean, but maybe B means you get that FAN MATE 2 with it.. doesn't really warrant 10 euros though, does it?

otherwise..well the actual heatsink looks exactly the same as ol' 7000A to me:

LATER: babelfish makes it all so clear... LOL
"7000B 7000A It compared and heat Sing khu was improved and the efficiency improved single breadth, the weight decreased 18g.
Also 7000B to the FAN MATE 2 where the convenient characteristic increases to be had built-in basic, AMD Sempron/AMD64
Ub for the main board the high-in-tensity plastic Backplate which has become the RAID is included.
"

Babelfish also translated this new statistic for us:
Possibility before sliced raw fish : 1,350 ~ 2,600 rpm
Last edited by wim on Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:53 pm

It should also be noted that you should make sure that you have mounting holes around your socket. The Zalman takes advantage of that. AFAIK, most motherboards DO have it, but not all (mine is one that doesn't).

wim

Post by wim » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:36 pm

there has been a new run of manufacturing too - note different shape of fins... (the B model is on left :wink: )

ImageImage

mr pink

Post by mr pink » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:42 am

those arent the flower coolers.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:58 am

I think the one you want is the 7000A. As others have said the 7000 (no A) isn't compatible with Socket A and the B is a new revision that is very similar. I have a 7000A AlCu cooling my XP2500 clocked at 2.2GHz and, given enough case air flow, will cool it down to 1100-1200 rpm, which is very quiet. There are threads about decoupling the fan and using 2 fan mates in series to get even quieter than the stock minimum (~1500rpm)
I believe the flower coolers are the 6000 and 6500 series, which are “hand fan” shaped, and the fan is hung above them on a bracket.
Seb

tomknight

Cheap UK Zalman 7000AlCu supplier...

Post by tomknight » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:04 am

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=601956 are selling the 7000AlCu for 17.50 GBP + vat & del, I think this is the cheapest around.

They also have a nifty "price match" where whey try to match a competitor's price. Handy if you want to use only one supplier to reduce delivery costs. Oh, I think the delivery's fairly cheap as well. No, I'm not an employee ;-)

Tom.

may_hem1

Post by may_hem1 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:15 pm

Thanks for your helpful advice! :D

I called them "flower coolers" because QuietPC.com calls them "Super Flower Coolers". I appreciate that the 6000 series are the original flower coolers.

Tom, thanks for pointing that out. It seems that TekHeads sell the OEM version and the user comments for that product say that it's the non-Barton version so unfortunately I can't use that. :cry:

The motherboard that I'm getting is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. The case I'm getting is an Antec BQE. The compatability list on the Zalman site says that, for this motherboard, the "Power Supply must not interfere with the heatsink". Are they suggesting that the Antec psu might molest the heatsink?? :twisted:

Wim, thanks for pointing out that Babelfish translates Korean to English. I can now read lots of manufacturers' Web sites. I also read that the 7000B supports Barton chips, has a slightly different heatsink design, and has the Fan Mate 2 with an extended cable so you can control the fan speed without opening the case.

I think I will buy this "B" version. Any thoughts against?

May

wim

Post by wim » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:39 pm

may_hem1 wrote:I think I will buy this "B" version. Any thoughts against?
only the money...

i have the asus A7N8X Deluxe aswell and my power supply does molest the heatsink a bit... it's not enough to be a problem though.

i think you should get the B version, looks to be better design. when zalman made revision of their power suppies, they also did this A->B name change ZM300A to ZM300B, and this update had very significant improvements.

everybody else has the A, so you can contribute new information and tell us how it performs. :lol:

plus i don't think you can beat that 1,350 possibility before sliced raw fish

ps: http://www.zalmanusa.com/ finally has the 7000B listed in english!

tomknight

Zalman 7000 at Tekheads

Post by tomknight » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:37 am

I've just has a reply from Tekheads, who I asked aboput the Zalman 7000AlCu OEM, they say:
"It is untrue, we bundle the Socket A and A64 fittings with all Zalman 7000Al-CU OEM coolers."
Tom.