New Zalman cooler. CNPS 8000A with heatpipes

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:33 pm

My take on this is, if bling brings in the bucks, so long as they continue to make quiet cooling products, so be it.

If they stop making decent cooling products, I'll be among those of you muttering darkly about sellouts.

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:18 pm

Tibors wrote:Maybe you can't, but I can fairly easilly see the heatpipe is not connected to anything else than the tops of all the thin fins and the one fat fin. This is a heatpipe we are talking about, not a vapor chamber. You can see the whole heatpipe from end to end.
It looks like on the right side of the photo, where the heatpipe is disconnected there could be a connecting piece that goes down toward the base. Maybe not, but we just can't see that part of the unit.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:11 pm

Look again, you can actually see it terminates.
(Or maybe you should just dream on)

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:07 pm

Looking at the pictures initially my thought was that the heatpipe is moving the heat to the fins that are not in actual contact with the heatspreader. I dont know how many fins that is on the cores (A64, P4) with a heatspreader. Despite this it looks a bit bandwagonish to me.

ilh

Post by ilh » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:04 am

On a 7000 or 7700, while not all the fins are over the center of the heat spreader, they are all squished together quite effectively. At load on my 7000, with my finger I can't tell any temperature difference between the central fins (go over center of the core) and the ones out near the gaps. Conclusion: these heat pipes will do absolutely nothing. I wonder if they are even filled with anything?

Webfire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Webfire » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:08 pm

From what i have heard, the aluminium version of the zalman 8000 weighs about 400g. That's what someone from Zalman told a friend of mine at the Cebit.

400g is not to bad.

Kaleid

Post by Kaleid » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:40 pm

The cooler can be seen here as well:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/cebit/192/17/

Wraith

Post by Wraith » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:06 am

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:35 am

Lol this thing is rediculous

I like it though. I agree, luke skywalker should be landing on this thing.

only problem is weight + leverage. the 7000 and 7700 are flat-ish, less pressure on the leverage point. this is a tower of sexiness.

heatpipes do work, I have been shown the light in this area. look at the new review of the heatsink on front page of spcr, its all heatpipe for a while, if it didnt work, the chip would fry in a few mins.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:28 am

Hello:

The fan should be horizontal, blowing upwards. Somehow, this seems to be the obvious way to go, and one wonders why they put the fan in the way they did?

luggage

Post by luggage » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:10 pm

The "lid" should be at the bottom instead and after that just duct it out of the case side... should work nicely in a sucking case.

mai9

Post by mai9 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:33 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello:

The fan should be horizontal, blowing upwards. Somehow, this seems to be the obvious way to go, and one wonders why they put the fan in the way they did?
I wondered at first, but air must go through fins and this vertical position forces that.

I am not sure how useful will be those heatpipes that don't have direct fan air, and I also suspect this will be a highly priced heatsink. :roll:

Anyway, how do you change the fan?

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:57 pm

mai9 wrote:Anyway, how do you change the fan?
Mats wrote:someone please rip the lid off, pull out fan + holder, and mount a nexus 92 on top of it (yeah, with a duct from the side of the case).
It couldn't be that hard, the question is how to get the lid off. Then you make a hole for the fan in the lid, and finally softmount a fan.
First I thought about a 120 mm but I think it's too big.
If you're not sure if it will work then just make a temporary lid out of plastic for testing.

Edit: Or do you just mean fan swapping? Again it's about how to get the lid off.
The fan seems to be attached just like the 7x00 fans, no big deal.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:36 pm

Mats wrote:the question is how to get the lid off.
Look here. The pictures about Zalman are under number 25.

There is only one screw in the middle of the lid. If you unscrew that, you can probably just lift the lid off. Looks like you can put the fan bracket in any of four positions. The frameless fan is screwed to the bracket with two screws, just like the 7x00 series.

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:16 pm

Thanks for the link Tibors! To do the mod with a fan on top I guess you have to seal the bottom first, so the air must go through the fins. Otherwise it wouldn't work so good.
Tibors wrote:Looks like you can put the fan bracket in any of four positions.
Yes, you move the bracket between the four pair of holes in the base which looks quite difficult to do, not much space. First I thought you moved the fan with the lid.

Straker

Post by Straker » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:50 pm

bird cage :D

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:19 am

On the "bird cage" the fan inside directly effects all the fins/pipes,the many pipes get the heat up,away from the cpu. This has so many pipes and makes max use of the fan it could be awesome if you have a duct setup so cool outside air gets to the "suck" side, and you have an exhaust,maybe also ducted, to move the heat out of the case. This unit ideally would be used,I think, in a desktop config,where the mobo is horizontal and the weight is less of an issue. That also would apply to something like the TT Sonic Tower or the passive vapor chamber hs

PositiveSpin

Hoax?

Post by PositiveSpin » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:39 am

I think the jpeg of the HSF that looks like a 7000 with circular heat pipe may be a hoax - maybe it's a photoshopped effort.

The cylindrical one, however, looks real. I agree the fan looks questionable, though - I'd have expected a fan in place of the lid, sucking or blowing air through the fins.